Can anyone help??

Afternoon all, I spent the last few nights swapping my 1.0 engine over for the 1.3. I have used a pre facelift 1.3 engine, with my 1.0 gearbox, shafts, flywheel etc. Also used the 1.0 loom as the bloke who removed the 1.3 just hacked that up:p. The car drives mint in 1st and 2nd gear, really does pull, but then cant get over 60mph in 3rd gear, and 85mph is flat out in 4th/5th gear. And all the way through the rev range in the top 3 gears i can feel flat spots and in bogs a little if thats the right word. Now i changed the dizzy over this afternoon and its slightly better in 3rd but still not right. Does anybody have any ideas?? Im thinking its electrical but maybe somebodys had this same problem??

Thanks alot

Flat_out

is the timing correct mate i had a right carry on with mine as i changed me cams over to rally ones and the timing was all off

It shouldnt be? as i never touched the cams that were in it. Doesnt make sense how it can run as mint as it does in first and second then just go off:p. Surely it would tick over rough etc if the timing was out?

Thanks

Flat_out

yes it would affect all the gears the same surely ?
micra_pete was the man :cool: to ask if there is any speedsensor/ecu cause to your problem

You say "was" the man frank, is he not on here anymore? Surely theres some simple explanantion to this eh? Something ive not done correctly when swapping over. For my first engine swap i thought id done quite well:p. And if the speed sensor was in the dash like we discussed, i cant really of disturbed it, but i suppose we dont know that till we find out where it goes to i guess?

Cars eh, dont you just love em:p

Flat_out

Nope, the only wiring that got disconnected, then reconnected was the injector loom and cylinder earths etc, all the ones needed to remove the engine.

Flat_out

Ideally you should use the cg13 ecu, but it shouldn't run that bad with the CG10.

You say you removed the distributer, have you checkd the static timing? which can and probably did move if you removed the distributer.

It should be advanced by about 15degress from TDC on idle

Are u talking top dead centre on the pistons? Sorry ive only ever rebuilt bike engines, usually single cylinder so thats the only tdc im familiar with. And would advancing be turning the distributor towards the dash of the car? im purely using guesswork here alienfish:p

Flat_out

advance is before top dead centre of cylinder 1.

Best to get a timing light for £30 and turn till you get 15 degrees on the timing marks.

really dont want to spend £30 on a timing light and then it not be that though. I mean ive tried different dizzys and different positions of them on the bracket slots???

Flat_out

could be the timing but i used a 1 litre ecu and it had a similar problem to yours had loads of power in th elower gears but felt odd to drive so i bought a pre nats ECU for £15.

But the 1.0 that was in before didnt have nats? And surely it wouldnt matter if the 1.3 did as i didnt use any wiring from it? Im starting to wonder if its the cam timings now, as the cam cover bolts where loose when i changed the covers over. . maybe somebody had been in there and thats why it was in the scrappys eh? trust me to pick the only duff engine out of ten micras! If i post a picture of the chain and top sprockets, would people be able to tell if they where out?

Thanks alot

Flat_out

The looms on NATS and non NATS are slightly different.

Make sure that cylinder 1 is TDC on the photo. If you've had distributers off or moved, it's important that you check the ignition timing, as this will MOST LIKELY be wrong.

I took these photos before i read that post:(, i can take some more though as i dont know if is tdc in the pics. How would i turn the engine over to get it there though??

Sprocket side. .

DSC00407.jpg

Full cam shot. . .

DSC00406.jpg

Sorry for all the questions, just really want this sorting out.

Thanks for all the help so far

Flat_out

it's difficult to tell without 1 being at TDC.

you can turn the cams by hand with a spanner on the hex section, or you can push the car in gear to do it.

But you really should check your ignition timing.

best thing to do mate is time it back up correctly again i just done mine and it made a huge differance to my friend just throwing me cams in

Unless you've had cams off or the chain off, it's highly unlikely they'll be out of time.

But YOU HAVE moved the distributer and removed it, so IT WILL be out.

So how do i adjust the ignition timing anyway? Like is it possible for me to tweak it a little to see wether it makes a difference? Thus proving it is that, hope that makes sense

Flat_out

So how do i adjust the ignition timing anyway? Like is it possible for me to tweak it a little to see wether it makes a difference? Thus proving it is that, hope that makes sense

Flat_out

just rotate the dizzy (on the 2 slotted boltholes) but it will affect the engine in all gears tho eh fwn

thats whays puzzling me, 1st and 2nd gear are rapid, real nice. This might be the other end of the scale but, could it be drivetrain? clutch slip in higher gears? it doesnt feel like it but im getting totally baffled right now, thanks all

Flat_out

Back