Can anyone explain this?!

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
I put some bog standard BP diesel in a bottle (Ok, ok, I wanted to know what it looked like :D). It looks basically like wee but when you shine a light through it, it turns blue :eek:. The effect is even more pronounced indoors.

Unlit:

unlit_diesel.png

Lit:

lit_diesel.png

Maybe the additives? It's not the torch because if you shine through the bottle sideways, the diesel goes blue but the light on your hand is a strong yellow...

Oo, good suggestion, never thought of that... One of my mates at work said 'Blimey, I thought all diesel was red?!' :D.

Oo, good suggestion, never thought of that... One of my mates at work said 'Blimey, I thought all diesel was red?!' :D.

wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dyes#Fuel_dye_in_the_European_Union maybe your answer would be there too

In the United Kingdom, "red diesel" is dyed gas oil for registered agricultural or construction vehicles such as tractors, excavators, cranes and some other non-road applications such as boats. Red diesel carries a significantly reduced tax levy compared to un-dyed diesel fuel used in ordinary road vehicles. As red diesel is widely available in the UK, the authorities regularly carry out roadside checks, highly unlikely in a metropolitan area but much more likely in a rural area.

Back