Can a fwd gearbox be reversed?

CMF_s13n1

» CMF Member
Hi guys, i no longer have my micra but i figure this could be a good place to ask a micra related question.

Im considering the idea of a micra engine in my fiat 126, which is a rear engined rwd car.

Using the micra would require the engine to be put in backwards, so the headers face the rear of the car. Mounting it the same as it is in the micra would require a lot of work and turn it into a mid mount, which is not an option.

A simple option would be to somehow reverse the gearbox, but if this possible i dont know. Googling has not come up with much.

If anyone can help it would be great, thanks guys.

CMF_Yom2

» CMF Member
Better off looking at small toyotas or mitsubishis where the engine was mounted on the passenger (LH) side of the vehicle. Pretty much all fwd transaxle nissans have had the engine mounted on the drivers (RH) side of the vehicle.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Toyota & Nissan both have engines on the RH side of the car.
Older Mitsi's had the engine on the LH side, so a gearbox from one of them would do for installing the Micra motor the way round you want in the back of the Fiat.
Hondas also had the engine on the LH side, but their motors run backwards compared to every other manufacturer, so not suitable.

Back