Can engine be removed without removing transmission?

C

Chevyfreak

Hi,

I bought a 1983 Micra with a broken cam belt. I would like to replace the engine with one from a 1987 Micra, both engines are MA10.

I have downloaded the shop manual for the Micra and according to this manual you would have to remove the engine and transmission together. I haven't got a Haynes manual yet.

Since my 83 Micra has a 5 speed gearbox and the 87 has a 4 speed, it would be easier if I could leave the gearbox in the car and just lift out the engine. It seems though that there isn't much space to pull the engine from the gearbox and lift it out.

Has anyone done this before and if it is possible do I need to support the gearbox? I havent worked on many FWD cars before.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rob.

it is alot easier to take the engine and box out together swap the boxes then put it back in. while its out and you have both engines sat there have a look over for better quality hoses and so on and swap them too. also the rad's have a tendancy to fall apart on k10's so that might be worth look if you have both cars that is

agree not possible. Although its much quicker to take the engine out with the box and swap it over than to take the box and engine out seperately.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will remove the engine with the gearbox bolted on from the 1983 Micra.

For the 1987 Micra partscar would it be quicker to unbolt everything including the suspension and lift the body over it?

I hope to get the Micra running soon, have to wait for a day without rain.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will remove the engine with the gearbox bolted on from the 1983 Micra.

For the 1987 Micra partscar would it be quicker to unbolt everything including the suspension and lift the body over it?

I hope to get the Micra running soon, have to wait for a day without rain.

you don need to take off the suspension. drop the engine and box off the car pull the safts out of the box ( watch out for oil) then you and a mate would have no trouble lifting the front of the car and pushing it back over the engine remeber to take the hadbrake off though

Hi it is possible as long as you can support the gearbox adequatly. Only problems with removing engine and leaving the box in situe it when it's automatic otherwise manual can be removed complete with the clutch plates.

Charlotte

Doesnt make life any easier, infact i suspect it would be a pain. I wouldn't recommend that method.

im with ed it would be alot of weight to move around catching parts alot easier to drop the engine and box out the bottom of the car.

Back