Can 100 mil Reflective tape be used as a number plate?

0pen2see

If I get my registration number cut out of black vinyl, could I stick it on 100 mil reflective 3M diamond grade tape & use it has a number plate?

That way I would know it would never drop off & I could cut it to fit anywhere + it wouldn't look flimsy. If I remember rightly I've seen vintage cars with number plates on the bonnet.

Reflective tape is virtually the same as the backing tape used on normal number plates. I can't find a law anywhere which states what you must use to display your registration number. Only that is must be highly visable. The only difference would be no plastic cover.

Front number plates aren't lit. The rear could be yellow reflective tape & lit by a light easy enough.

The reason I'm inquiring is because I want to do some custom spraying & the number plates are always in the way of my ideas. Instead of drilling holes & remounting, I could just stick them on.

I assume it'll be ok as long as it is easily visible and characters are of the correct design, correct sizing, and also the correct spacing.

I seen a few people who have done front numberplates as vinyls on the bonnets of there mazda mx-5's, rx-8's, and even an Impretza.

as alienfish360 says, as long as its the same specification as a normal plate it should be legal. Ask at an M.O.T garage for advice. Some copper may get arsy about it tho.

Back