Cams

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
Hey, anyone had much experience with getting regrinds done.. professionally it will be.
I got a few quotes for Mulholland/Aspect cams.. crazy prices! i do waste $$ on my micra but it is stupendous with the Aust dollar the way it is.
Anyhow, any stories etc would be helpful, thanks!
Mick.

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
Mickeybbb WROTE:

"Hey, anyone had much experience with getting regrinds done.. professionally it will be.<BR>I got a few quotes for Mulholland/Aspect cams.. crazy prices! i do waste $$ on my micra but it is stupendous with the Aust dollar the way it is.<BR>Anyhow, any stories etc would be helpful, thanks!<BR>Mick.

Hey Mick, never had a regrind for a micra but we have used Ivan Tighe in QLD before, will get more details for you when my dad gets home.

EDIT- found the web site http://www.tighecams.com.au/index.htm

They don't do a profile for the micra but they can make one.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
mickey

how,s the dollar/pound looking ?, because autosprint did me an excellant reprofile for £80+ vat (he takes 2.5mm off the base circle, which means you can fit stock spare shims inside the buckets, and stock shims above).
there,s some info in my msc blog

frank

CMF_crumpets

» CMF Member
If you get a price, let me know.. if they are affordable i might be up for it.

Tomei poncams are too pricey with the dollar vs yen now

sportsclassic WROTE:

"Mickeybbb WROTE:<BR><BR>"Hey, anyone had much experience with getting regrinds done.. professionally it will be.<BR>I got a few quotes for Mulholland/Aspect cams.. crazy prices! i do waste $$ on my micra but it is stupendous with the Aust dollar the way it is.<BR>Anyhow, any stories etc would be helpful, thanks!<BR>Mick."</DIV><BR><BR>Hey Mick, never had a regrind for a micra but we have used Ivan Tighe in QLD before, will get more details for you when my dad gets home.<BR><BR>EDIT- found the web site <A title=http://www.tighecams.com.au/index.htm href="http://www.tighecams.com.au/index.htm" target=_blank>http://www.tighecams.com.au/index.htm</A><BR><BR>They don't do a profile for the micra but they can make one.

used em before.. their actually just down the road from my place mickey.. waste of time imo. anyone who's had them done has had them wear out very quickly.. (anyone that i know anyway)..(they just spray weld your cam untill its big enough and them grind it down and the welding can wear off quite quickly as i and several mates have found out) they don't really ever seem to wana do what you wana do.. they want to make a grind themselves.. eh.. i think you'd be looking at close to $500 from them for something that isn't machined from a solid... their service is also about as good as whiteline..

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
Cams sourced through Mathew Humphris in the UK are new manufactured and seem pretty good quality. There are 2 grades of cams available. I'm running the mid range 773 cams (264 degree duration) with the milder ones being the NME Challenge cams (254 degree duration).

The web adress doesn't seem to be working so email him at [email protected] if want current pricing.

They cost me about 500 UKP landed in Australia.

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
Nissanmania WROTE:

"Cams sourced through Mathew Humphris in the UK are new manufactured and seem pretty good quality. There are 2 grades of cams available. I'm running the mid range 773 cams (264 degree duration) with the milder ones being the NME Challenge cams (254 degree duration).<BR><BR>The web adress doesn't seem to be working so email him at [email protected] if want current pricing.<BR><BR>They cost me about 500 UKP landed in Australia.

I emailed Humphris about the web site, they had to block alot of IP address because of viris's, email him your IP address and he will unblock the site for you.

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Hey!

Won't start a new thread, cause i'm asking for help in changing cams too. I am going for the Tomeicams from "perfectrun", but one question: is there something to change like more resistant valves valvesprings or something? I don't know the english name, excuse me... the ring wich closes i combination with the valve, in germany called "Ventilsitzring" ( this one: http://www.motorklinik.de/images/ventilsitzring.png ) or just overwork the old stuff?

kind regards,
christian

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
christian

i think that link is a valve seat, if you mean uprated valve springs then no, imo.
i took a 1.0 cg engine (with piper cams) to nearly 9000rpm with no sign of valvebounce (with stock springs)

frank

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
Don't think there are readily available heavy duty valve springs anyway. Would have to be custom made and so far no one has found a problem, as frank2 mentioned, with the stock ones.

Nissanmania WROTE:

"Don't think there are readily available heavy duty valve springs anyway. Would have to be custom made and so far no one has found a problem, as frank2 mentioned, with the stock ones.

i think matt said he can get them. but if you want heavier ones mickey i'll be able to match something up.

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Good morning.

Heavier springs, if necessary, will be no problem, i know a engineshop that do headwork, turbo, mapping, and they are selling valvesprings too.
I only wont to know if it is necessary, cause the work for new valveseats, springs and valves cost a lot of money (here in germany). And if there is a way to safe money, with no risk for the engine, my balls are jumping ;-)

I have read a guide for cylinderhead-works (ok it was for audis, but the most works are the same) and they have written it is advisable to change the stock valve for motorsportvalve in fact of the higher thermical load, cause they might be damaged. Is it right? For me, as rookie it sounds plausible, more mixture, more power, more heat.

If i am going anywhere wrong, correct me. I have just begun to make plans for my engine setup, i am collecting as much information i can get (i have joined this excellent community a few weeks ago and i am reading everyday, much more nice people than in the german forum, it sucks) and searching for shops like perfectrun, but it is safer to ask befor ordering something from the other side of the world!

So on wich points i got to take care of with pipercams? Valvesprings and Seats -no- ok. Remapping -yes- (manifold,exhaust,intake,TB,inj's...) something else?

kind regars!

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
hey frank2,

i want to go for the tomei poncams. what does lpg meen? excuse me but it is a little bit new territory for me.

regards,
christian

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"christian

i think the tomei,s are a good choice, (liquid petrolium gas)

what other plans have you got ?

frank

Hey frank!

I want to go for a highflowed head, milled up TB (cause i can't find the ga15 here in europe), perhaps raised compression, the tomei cams, manifold 4-2-1 + exhaust, perhaps highflow-cat, jun lightweight flywheel (4,3kg) , PowerBoostValve, the big airintake from humprhis, Splitfire ignition leads, and i am thinking about bigger injectors if necessary.
As well i am going for coilovers (K-Sportracing) and racingclutch from sachs (+30% more torque)

And of course, a remapping, but that is the biggest problem, the most tuner luagh about the micra, or aren't able to do. what will i need for? additional ecu? free programmable ecu?

regards,
christian

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Forgot to say, Matthew told me their is a modified engine for sale, that might be easier, just waiting for more details!

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Ok, but there is the problem, i am living in south germany. As far as i know you remap with a dynojet, am i right? Or is it possible to list what have been modificated, and he creates the map? I didn't think so...

I am a totally newbie in mapping. Just searched a little bit on google, and found these one, additional to the stock ecu. http://www.venturiracing.de/shop/motorstreuerung/motorsteuerung/greddy-emanage-ultimate.html

but i think without power in your brain, and just a laptop you just going to crack your engine...

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
ok, matthew wrote me, here are the details:

"
The pervious customer, last year purchased from me new bearings and piston
rings to rebuild the engine. It has been lighten and balanced and Nismo High
compression pistons fitted (purchased from me). The cylinder head is a Peter
Vaughan head with his cams (Peter Vaughan built the works NME Micra
engines), bigger injectors and a group A air filter and a Maniflow 4 branch
exhaust manifold. It also comes the the standard ecu and the Desket piggy
back ecu. The car with this engine and it's owner win the BTRDA Class A5
championship a 2 years ago.
It is claimed to produce 120BHP. It is advertised at £1995.00 ono and comes
with the alternator and power steering pump all attached. It would not be a
cheap item to send to Germany, the engine must weigh around 55 - 60 kg at a
guess. The engine is very driveable and would produce more power if it was
to run on an Omex engine management system and changed to throttle bodies
and everything fully mapped."

what do you think about? easier to fit in a complete engine, than to do modifications an the actual engine?

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
germank11 WROTE:

"ok, matthew wrote me, here are the details:<BR><BR>"<BR>The pervious customer, last year purchased from me new bearings and piston<BR>rings to rebuild the engine. It has been lighten and balanced and Nismo High<BR>compression pistons fitted (purchased from me). The cylinder head is a Peter<BR>Vaughan head with his cams (Peter Vaughan built the works NME Micra<BR>engines), bigger injectors and a group A air filter and a Maniflow 4 branch<BR>exhaust manifold. It also comes the the standard ecu and the Desket piggy<BR>back ecu. The car with this engine and it's owner win the BTRDA Class A5<BR>championship a 2 years ago.<BR>It is claimed to produce 120BHP. It is advertised at £1995.00 ono and comes<BR>with the alternator and power steering pump all attached. It would not be a<BR>cheap item to send to Germany, the engine must weigh around 55 - 60 kg at a<BR>guess. The engine is very driveable and would produce more power if it was<BR>to run on an Omex engine management system and changed to throttle bodies<BR>and everything fully mapped."<BR><BR><BR>what do you think about? easier to fit in a complete engine, than to do modifications an the actual engine?<BR>

If you have the money do it!!

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Good morning!

Yes it would be a good deal. It is a set of engine, airintake, and complete exhaust (maniflow 4 branch manifold and maniflow exhaust system) I try to get just the parts i need, cause i have installed already a exhaust system starting at the second cat, and the maniflow from matthew is without cat, just freeflow, impossible to legalize it in germany. Perhaps, i can sell it here in the community? I will keep you up to date.

He has sent to me a lot of pictures about the car, the rally and the rest of the work, perhaps i am going to start a new thread, have a look on it!

regards,
christian

CMF_crumpets

» CMF Member
Drive your car over and get em to drop it in and drive it back (few ferry's here and there mind you)

Be an awesome road trip

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
hey all, cheers for the ppl that chipped in info on what they have etc
I got lucky and yahoo auctions delivered for me once again.
Got a set of 296°280°10mm high lift custom jobbies, comes with shims, should be interesting. =)
Both cams started there life as exhaust cams, then one was altered.

Attachments

• 41212.jpg
    41212.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 40

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
hey frank, these cams are now in.. something starts at 4grand, runs like a pig dog =) really pulls at about 6400-7100 (on factory tacho)
Seriously in need of tune now

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
and i found it awkward to check the timing with a vernier disc, with the engine in situ, so used a dipstick down the plughole instead.
as you can see the inlet was way too retarded :eek:

Attachments

• 42395.jpg
    42395.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 31

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
yeh im going to source a set of adj cam gears now,
if for nothing but the hilarious sound of the thing it's worth it =)
some bogan at 7-11 asked me if i had a 13b under the hood, lol

yes kiddies, yesterday was a ****in interesting experience. micks car now sounds like a pissed off rb26. +1 for franks idea of advancing it a bit... or **** loads, either way lol. and piss that rev limiter off!
oh, and for those of you playing at home. stick with 256in/ex baha

Back