Bulb change

Katie

Half Micra Half Primera
Will the highbeams on my car take 100w bulbs? Will it need some re-wiring work or is it just a no go? Im at work so i cant really go and have a look at the car or get manuals and stuff out :wasntme:

I run with 100/80 watt bulbs on mine on standard wiring and have had no problems, I was worried that they would melt my plastic lenses but they can take the extra heat as well, I can tell you that the extra power bulbs really make a difference.

Thanks! i live in the middle of nee where with loads of back roads and i dont quite feel comfortable on them on my own in the car (breakdown/accident paranoia) but i figure if i have some kick ass lights i will feel much better as ill be a bit more prepared for animals and stuff.

Id love some retro fit HID's but im not too sure on the legalities / MOT aspects of those, as the lights on the primera are wicked on pitch black unlit roads.

100/80 aren't road legal though are they? I'm just fitting some 4 inch spots on the front as I have some laying about. I also live out in the middle of nowhere and the deer seem really stupid lol.

Im not too concerned about possibly getting pulled with them, cuz you see the cars coming and just flick them back on to main beam instead of high beam. Im still umming and aahing.

My solution was to just go and buy a car with better lights but the husband wasnt impressed :wasntme: LOL

Get a light bar on the roof (4 spotlights) and have them on a switch marked 'ZING!'
You'd have to paint your bonnet matt black though so you don't get blinded.

Get some 130/90w then you'll need some relays and it might melt you're car plastic lens or go for the more expensive look and purchase some HID's, I'm trying to persuade my manager to borrow some test samples HID kits.

infact the subject has been brought up

what can i put in my car which will be the brightest and road legal?

i have a super s so could i put HID in the fog lights?

Yeah fog lights aren't really regulated, just don't get them too bright or it'll just light up the fog and blind you lol.

Just to clear a few things up only 55/60 are road legal. Spot lights you can have what you like. Foglamps are wide flat beams so no use for seeing into the distance.

For headlight HID conversion, technically you need to have self leveling system and also a cleaning system to be legal.

80/100w bulbs would definately eventually damage the plugs, anything above this would just also be a massive waste as the wiring simply isnt designed to carry this kind of current, and would need altering.

Usually if both lenses are clean and aligned correctly with good bulbs there should be no problems with the amount of light, i see many set too high so they look bad on both dip and main beam.

I have some Phillips power2night bulbs (thanks pjg1979) and they are amazingly bright. Also you can see a hint of blue in them when on dipped beam.
They are only 60/55w but are plenty bright enough. I suggest you get some of them or similar.

You can get the following from most if not all motor factors like Halfords.

472 - Is the bog standard bulb
872 - Is upto 30% brighter (Xenon Plus)
972 - Is upto 60% brighter (Ultra Xenon)
772 - This is a new bulb it has a Ice blue coloured glass envelope and it's upto 50% brighter I have some of these in my car.
2272 - Arctic White (Just a Whiter light)
372 - Ice Blue (Just a Whiter light)

All the above are H4 bulbs 60/55w. You can get HID kits, but you need to make sure they're not in the car when you goto a MOT.

All the below bulbs are illegal and most proberly melt your lens as well as your wiring

473 - 100/55w (Rally Sport)
484 - 100/80w (Rally Sport)
490 - 130/90w (Rally Sport)
590 - 160/100w (Rally Sport)
684 - 100/80 (Sportz Blue)

Any other questions about bulbs I can answer as I test the thangs all the bl**dy time.

a super s bumper wont fit on yours katie as these are for the pre-facelift micra (just making sure you knew), and for the record, super s bumpers don't have fog lights, they're driving lights.
just make sure your headlights are set up right, as in not too low, and get some uprated bulbs. there's no need to go higher on wattage, just get decent bulbs.

just make sure your headlights are set up right, as in not too low, and get some uprated bulbs. there's no need to go higher on wattage, just get decent bulbs.

i shall investigate some uprated bulbs... the 100w bulb idea was the husbands :wasntme:

And thanks for pointing out the Super S bumper thing, i had been eyeing one up actually!

i shall investigate some uprated bulbs... the 100w bulb idea was the husbands :wasntme:

And thanks for pointing out the Super S bumper thing, i had been eyeing one up actually!

i've got 100w mainbeam (can't remember dipped wattage) and because they are cheap bulbs the standard bulbs look brighter. although mine are blue, it helps to pick thing out easier, and looks cool :cool:
the super s/sr rear bumper will fit straight on, and i've seen a facelift with the said bumper on aswell, but it would require modding around the lights and wings.

here you go, i've found out the pic i saw, just ignore the chavy bits, it's something i've thought of doing myself (not the chavy bits lol). it's my shape micra (98-2000), but is more or less the same as yours (2000-2002).

Attachments

• facelift sr.jpg
    facelift sr.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 174
IMO the only chavvy bit on that car is the number plate, other than that it's nice.

Oh and the magic tree air freshener.

That kind of makes my eyes hurt :(

Not my cup of tea! but thank you for going to find the picture for me chick :D

80/100w bulbs would definately eventually damage the plugs.

I've had mine in for 3 years and have had no problems yet, the front sidelight wiring connector is the only problem I've had, when funds allow I will definately invest in an HID kit for my driving lights.

Back