Rear axle change

Hi
I have just bought a W reg (may 2000) Micra Celebration dark Green Met. 1.0 petrol manual 3 dr. Its only done 38K miles. It even had a brand new battery last Thurs £73 from Halfrauds.
1 old lady owner, FSH etc in excellent condition apart from a few bubbles in the rear arches and corrosion on the rear axle beam.
Although it's taxed till then end of the month and MOTed until May its obviously not safe to drive.
'Q' number 1, any idea how much I sould have paid for the car ?

Mr Nissan has quoted £650 + vat for a bare beam - sod that !
I have done a bit of research and found out that there are basically two types of axles, with or without anti roll bar, my car has the roll bar.

So it's off to the breakers, but do I need to look for a year specific vehicle or are they all the same ?
I have had a look at an 1998 R reg one and at a glance they look the same but that car has 13" wheels and mine has 14". So will mine have bigger brakes (please don't laugh, I though this was a valid question) If they are bigger, can I simply swop over the whole brake assembly.

Many thanks in advance Ian

I have bought the car for my twin 17yr old boys to learn to drive, is it just me or have insurance companies simply priced young people out of the market ? No wonder why so many just run the risk and don't take insurance out !
The best quote I have is touch over 2K for the vehicle insured in my name with the boys added on, mind you it goes up another grand when they pass the test.

frank

Club Member
hi ihs :grinning:
i think all the axles are straight fit, tho like you say some have the a/r/b brackets welded on, and the disc brake models have the caliper bracket welded on.
expect the rubber bush bolts to put up a fight tho :eek:

OP
OP
I
"expect the rubber bush bolts to put up a fight tho",

your not kidding.

BeforeI set too with a driill, has anyone got any suggestions. Its the bottom trailing arm bushes that are being stubborn ! or should I just cut them out and get new one, if in fact you can get them on their own

Cheers Ian

frank

Club Member
lol ian :grinning: you might end up having to grind the head and tail off the bolts :eek: then the bit thats left will usually knock out once the rod is off

OP
OP
I
Hi Guys

I have got the axel off but had to cut out the bushes, so where can I get a pair from ? I have seen them on fleebay for £4, or almost £30 from Nissan.
Does anyone have a part number for these bushes also recommend a supplier, are the fleebay ones crap !

Regards Ian

pollyp

Club Member
i think the upper trailing arm bracket is the weakest part of the rear beam prone to rusting. the beam itself is heavy & thick enough to prob lift the car itself.

if the trailing arm brackets are mechanically intact, rear tracking pointing straight and no holes through the beam then no need to replace the axle. just a good wirebrushing/painting

i think the upper trailing arm bracket is the weakest part of the rear beam prone to rusting. the beam itself is heavy & thick enough to prob lift the car itself.

if the trailing arm brackets are mechanically intact, rear tracking pointing straight and no holes through the beam then no need to replace the axle. just a good wirebrushing/painting

My rear beam was paper thin between the spring cup and the hub, it broke mid corner when I was doing 40+mph and after spinning 270 degrees put me backwards into a ditch via a hedge.

Don't think just because something is heavy it's strong.

RR_dev

Site Supporter
You cant replace any bushes on nissans unless you are uprating. The fsm states if bushes are worn replace beam, wishbone, motor mount etc.