Brake upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
Well my pads and discs are just about due for replacement, was thinking of gettting the drilled and grooved pads from buy parts by and going for greenstuff pads - but iv heard mixed reviews on the greenstuff pads, i heard that they wear down very quick, could anyone give me some more information on the matter please?!

Cheers in advance

Daz :alien:

nothing. just use a few washers to space out the calipers to slot nicely over the disc.

so you can run standard calipers and hoses with bigger (sunny, primera pulsar?) discs?

micraisok said:
how much work is invloved in getting them to fit?

same as standard calipers just a washer needs placing between the caliper and the mounting point,

and if you find some in a breakers yard,like mine with more or less brand new disks and pads then you dont need to buy new ones:)

best to get almera as they will be less old than sunny calipers of course.

nizzanz1 said:
best to get almera as they will be less old than sunny calipers of course.

Plus I think the N15 Almera brakes (stamped with 22V) are lighter than the N14 brakes AND are more compact (so they might fit under 13" rims?)???

all sunny and almera (non 1.8 zx/2.0 gti/r) brakes fit under 13" rims. unless you have a particulalry strange shape non nissan 13" alloy then there maybe a problem. but standard 13" steels or most alloys are ok.

if you change discs and pads (from say an almera to a micra etc) do you need to change out else - apart from the few washers that a few people have mentioned

again it sounds stupid but if you dont ask you never find the answer

1.6 brakes are a very nice upgrade to go for, I went for 1.6 100NX vented discs with Bluebird mintex pads and March ST calipers and they have made so much difference, absolutely no brake fade! :)

Here they are next to each other:
1-DSC01064.JPG

Here they are side by side:
14-DSC01067.JPG

Fitted pics:
18-DSC01069.JPG

11-DSC01068.JPG

i have to say micra are terribly under braked. its crazy small brakes they have. good for lightness but they cant take any kind of heavy use.
to put it into perspective how small they are at 234mm x 12mm solid the 1.0 k12 has 260mm x 22mm vented. which are proper sized brakes. those 1.0 micra brakes are bigger than a 220bhp GTIR brakes. as standard. just shows how underbraked car used to be when designed 10+ years ago. tyre size/traction has also increased at the same rate as brakes over the years.

Bear in mind that the K12 is hewavier than both the Micra and Almera, but yes, std micra brakes are poo

I suppose I'm quite lucky that Marches have Sunny brakes as standard if the Micra brakes are as bad as that then.

march brakes are even smaller than micra brakes, they fit under a 12" wheel. but at least they are vented.

1.0 k12 is 940kgs
2.0 gti almera is 1155kgs with smaller brakes.
1.6 almera is 1035kgs with smaller brakes.

yes there good. but there are lots to choose from and not everyone has tried them all to see whats best. the best should have been the OMP competition micra pad. but its just been put out of production.

I'm hoping to do the almera/sunny upgrade soon, I know i need the 1.6 ones, How do i tell which that is.. Yes, I AM that stupid :)

And also, are there any particular years i should be looking for?

would these be any good?

And finally, painting the calipers.. There's caliper paint obviously, but would high temp paint suffice?

theres nothing wrong with green stuff pads with 1.3 grooved/drilled discs

nizzanz1 said:
march brakes are even smaller than micra brakes, they fit under a 12" wheel. but at least they are vented.

1.0 k12 is 940kgs
2.0 gti almera is 1155kgs with smaller brakes.
1.6 almera is 1035kgs with smaller brakes.

160sr is 1100kg with the same brakes as the 1.0 isnt it?

RIK said:
theres nothing wrong with green stuff pads with 1.3 grooved/drilled discs

If your meaning the standard Micra caliper and sized disk then I would avoid this. I done it and it doesn't make that noticable a difference. Although it looks good.

scottish-sr said:
If your meaning the standard Micra caliper and sized disk then I would avoid this. I done it and it doesn't make that noticable a difference. Although it looks good.

i noticed a difference when i did it to my k11's

My brakes have a short life left, and i like the look of the drilled and grooved discs, but i dont want to waste them with standard pads. Im not looking for a big performance brake efficiency as my brakes are pretty damn good as it is! I just want it to look good, but i heard greenstuff pads wear very quickly

thats what can happen with performance pads with high friction. same kind of thing with good sticky tyres, they will wear out quick.

nizzanz1 said:
thats what can happen with performance pads with high friction. same kind of thing with good sticky tyres, they will wear out quick.
Too right. I went through a pair of Toyo T1-Rs in the space of 7 months!!

8-DSC01059.JPG

I have some N14 1,4 calipers with 240mm disc size here.

Is there Anything specific I need to look for?
What disc brakes size I can use to keep my SR wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back