brake caliper seized?

i think my front driver side brake caliper is seized. scrapes when im going slow but only when the wheel turns a certain amount then you will hear it long scrapes with a pause inbetween, faster i go the scraping is short but more frequent.

i think the brake caliper has seized, does that description match it?

if so how hard is it to change a brake caliper? what tools would i need etc...

Changing a caliper is 2 minutes work. Depends how confident you are bleeding it afterwards :).

the wheel will be getting hot if its sticking, have you checked the pads ?

mmm not too sure how to take the pads off to check. yeah wheel is warm enough after a drive, its on 13" steelies btw.

ive took the wheel off and inspected everything the other day it all looked fine. turned the hub and thats when i heard the scraping, so im assuming its the brake caliper but not too sure =\

Changing a caliper is 2 minutes work. Depends how confident you are bleeding it afterwards :).

is bleeding nessary? lol, is there any special tools i need for taking off the caliper? like certain size sockets or anything?

Check out the guide on Guy's website, under the "Brakes" section. First guide at the top of the page. Pretty quick/easy job to do, only need a handful of tools (Y)

Whip the wheel off and have a look, you need to see how much meat's between the backing plate on the pad and the disc:

13.png

just checked the brakes there and the disc is completely scraped its now "grooved" lol. what size spanner do i need to take apart the caliper to check the pads? ive narrowed it down to either 11 or 12 mm

12mm if its pads only, remove the bottom one and swing the caliper upwards

Attachments

• bf4.jpg.jpg
    bf4.jpg.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 447
cars supposed to have passed MOT two months ago =\

How long has it been since the discs and/or pads were last replaced, and are you heavy on the brakes at all, particularly for long periods of time? Because I've had my car pass an MOT, then 4 months later the discs were ####ed

so i was driving this morning and the driver side brake was grinding like mad then there was no presure to the brake pedal. i pumped the brake and its working fine now without any sound (except for when im braking hard) also the presure in the brake pedal isnt as strong as it used to be either =\

Im getting this problem now! sorry to revive this lol, driving last night and felt like i may aswell of had my brakes on all the time.. seemed to get worse after a very brake. both wheels at the front get to hot to touch!

meh :(

Back