brake caliper dust seal - removal

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
My front offside standard nissan caliper is sticking a bit and causing the brake to overheat ... I have removed the capiler and exercised the piston it and out , and lubricated the piston by injecting some brake fluid under the dust seal ... I wanted to completly remove the dust seal but I could not see how it was attached to the caliper ..any clues ..??

thanks

Mike

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
the dust seal sits in a groove similar to the piston seal (red seal in pic). once the pistons out the dust seal simply pops out by grabbing a corner and pull it inward to unseat the seal from the caliper body.

Attachments

• 57183.jpg
    57183.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 40

CMF_chargeR

» CMF Member
Mike R WROTE:

"looking at the shape of the piston ..would it be safe to say you can fully depress the piston and then remove the seal ?

Possibly, but my experience rebuilding calipers on other cars suggests that getting a seal back in will be very difficult with the piston still in the caliper. Why not just get a rebuild kit and replace both the seals?

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
Mike R WROTE:

"looking at the shape of the piston ..would it be safe to say you can fully depress the piston and then remove the seal ?

if by depressing you mean push the piston all the way into the caliper, no. the piston prevents the dust seal from popping off its groove seating.

to remove, you first move the piston out by bout 2cm, peel the dust seal from piston, finish removing piston then peel the dust seal from the caliper.

to refit, slip the dust seal on the base of the piston (where the o-ring seals against), carefully hook the dust seal fully into the caliper groove (requires some patience) then push the piston into the caliper (must keep piston square to the caliper or else it'll jam)

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
thanks for the info chaps ..

getting hold of brake service kits in the uk is difficult , for some reason we diy chaps are not trusted to rebuild calipers with car spares outlets preferring to sell new calipers . Getting hold of pins ,springs and clips is easy .. but not the seals .

but if someone knows a source , let me know ;-)

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
brakes international uk do some parts ... but talking to the garage ,the mechanic says a few cars have had problems with just the offside caliper for some strange reason , but reckons its best to change the caliper than to try and service it ....

Back