Boot lock, top brake light, interior light

Hi all, my Dad has just given me his Micra K12 2003 as he has got a new car and there are a few issues that I would like to sort out.

The boot is locked shut and the switch doesn't work - I have followed the various threads and disconnected the white connector, but I can't get the two pins to short and pop the boot open, it is almost as if the is no power going there. The third (top) brake light is also not working and so would guess it is an electrical issue somewhere - are the two linked on the same circuit - there don't seem to be any fuses labelled with either. The rear windscreen wiper does work however so there is power going to the rear of the car. Also the interior light is not working and wonder if this is linked in.

Any suggestions on where to look/how to get boot open welcome. The handbook refers to a slider by the lock, but there isn't one in the car.

Thanks

Ok a few hours later and all is resolved. In case this is useful to others here is what happened.

I took the switch apart and it all seemed fine - no sign of water ingress so resealed and used extra silicone sealant and still not able to short the switch

Next job was to open the boot. If there is no emergency lever, you have to prise the white cap off the lock mechanism using a flat blade screwdriver on the three clips. With the cap off use your finger to feel behind on the left side - to the left of the motor - there is a worm gear which you need to rotate with your finger to manually open the boot. I think you have to rotate the worm away from you (assuming you are crouching in the boot!) - take care as it springs back if you take your finger off - it's fiddly as you can't see it.

With the boot open check the cable on the top right side inside the rubber grommet. I had three cables (yellow, red and black) that had snapped i. It looks like the yellow and black were the boot lock and the red must be the third brake light. Bit of soldering some new cable in and all working again.

Interior light not related - the connectors just needed bending a bit.

Back