Blown KYB Shock? Help!

scottish-sr

Ex. Club Member
Was just out washing the car there and noticed what looked like oil on the wheel.

Took the wheel off and found what is in the pictures. It was a really thick, dark green coloured oil. I cleaned most of it off and there doesnt seem to be any sign of a crack etc. The shock still works fine. It is only the RHS and the shocks are only a year old, if that. As you can see the shock does look fine, apart from the green goo.

Is it knackered? If so, does anywhere sell just one shock?

I thought KYB were Gas shocks.

Attachments

• imag0001.JPG
    imag0001.JPG
    449.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMAG0002.JPG
    IMAG0002.JPG
    434.1 KB · Views: 243
  • IMAG0003.JPG
    IMAG0003.JPG
    433 KB · Views: 234
  • IMAG0004.JPG
    IMAG0004.JPG
    450.8 KB · Views: 245
kyb shocks are oil only, kyb excel-g shocks are oil with gas filling the void.
you should only fit new shocks in pairs otherwise you will have an unbalanced and dangerous potential in hte car handling. if you have lowered suspension i reccomend uprated stiffnes shocks which kyb/excel-g are not.

Thanks for the offer Magpie, on close inspection though it is actually the CV Boot has got a wee hole in it and its grease that has flew out there. I thought it looked too thick for oil.

nizzanz1 said:
kyb shocks are oil only, kyb excel-g shocks are oil with gas filling the void.
you should only fit new shocks in pairs otherwise you will have an unbalanced and dangerous potential in hte car handling. if you have lowered suspension i reccomend uprated stiffnes shocks which kyb/excel-g are not.

yes they are? Excel-g's have a slightly stiffer damper rate to the original oil shocks. I don't have the exact specs on the valve flow rates but they do advertise it on the packaging here. In the warrenty it also states they are suitable for ~30mm lowered springs. Any lower and technically your warrenty is void but thats slightly offtopic.

From what I found, KYB also recommend the use of Excel-G shocks when using their own in-house lowering springs (which they don't make anymore though).

thats intereresting, on the description on one kyb website they had no mention of excel-g being uprated stiffness. they just described it as being gas/oil and the benefits of such a product in smoothness and lifespan etc. if so than thats good news.

Hmm yeh the whole kyb website has changed a bit since I last went on there but I do recall in my product research that they were advertised with a sportier feel and I was told that if i wanted to retain my ride comfort I would have to buy a different shock.. A boge i think it was.

do they not do the AGX for the Micra?

I have them on my primera, designed to be "lowered" 30mm - however mine are a 35mm drop and are fine...
They also alloy you to alter the daming rate without having to remove the shocks from the car unlike Koni's

AGX are not made for the micra. koni front are on car adjustable but yes its annoying the rears have to be taken off the car.

Back