Bleeding coolant system??!!

B

BenK11

fwn Hey guys, I've just put a replacement engine and gear box into my 1.0l and i was wondering if any of you know how to bleed the coolant system? Thanks in advance, Ben

There should be a plug at the bottom of the radiator which you remove to empty the system out.

There should be a plug at the bottom of the radiator which you remove to empty the system out.

Cant bleed through that. The air will rise to the highest point in the system! Think theres a small pipe just below the distributor, not changed my coolant yet, its on the list! lol

1. Make sure the engine is cold.
2. Cover radiator cap with a wag of cloth and unscrew slowly anti-clockwise
3. Inside the car turn the heater control knob to max.
4. Position a suitable container under the radiator.
5. Might help to jack the car up with a trolley jack but make sure you use axel stands!
6. There is a clip on the hose connection at the bottom.
7. Ease the hose from the stub.
8. Rusty? Spray of yee old WD40.
9. DRAIN and wait... reposition container if need be.
10. If also required then reposition the container under the cylinder block drain plug.
11. You might want to drain the expansion tank so remove it if you wish and again be careful with any clips and hoses - no excessive force.
12. You can always flush the radiator. I shoved a garden hose down it until clean water came out the other end. There were a few bits but it wasnt that bad so I didnt put any inhibitor chemicals in.
To do this you need to disconnect the top and bottom hoses from the expansion tank.

Filling her up:
1. Reconnect all the hoses and make sure the clips are in decent condition.
2. Fill it slowly until the level reaches the bottom of the filler neck.
3. Careful... dont get it on hands or paint work
4. While filling SLOWLY you should gently squeez the radiator hoses to get rid of any air blocks.
5. Fill expansion tank to MAX mark
6. If you have AC then make sure the AC compressor is off.
7. Do not put the cap back on.
8. Start engine.
9. Rev it a few times.
10. Leave it idling...
11. Go to front and see if you can feel heat from the radiator top hose.
12. Switch off engine and allow it to cool. Say one hour should do.
13. Caps back on.
14. Check after hour where level is... by starting the engine... run at around 3000rpm for 30 seconds... turn it off.
15. Back to the radiator and check the level... take cap off and top up if need be... adjust the expansion tank level too if it is not on MAX.
16. Refit cap
17. Bobs ya uncle.

Any mistakes then do correct. I'm a beginner.

Gotta be a quicker way! I'd be fired if i took that long at work! lol Ill check it out on monday, trying to type through hangover!

dont worry about draining the block you dont need to,

undo bottom rad hose
take cap off
drain coolant out
refit hose
fill with coolant
start car
refill rad and put cap on
heater on hot
then hold revs at 3k for say a 1 minute or 2
then leave idling till it blows hot air and rad fan cuts in and out a few times
then your done