Better front seats

CMF_AaronS

» CMF Member
I'm after a more supportive option than the standard seats for doing the odd track day etc. As I'm 187 cm the seat also needs to be mounted a bit lower so me and my helmet can fit in the car at the same time.
I have seen a picture within these files somewhere of a micra with what looks like WRX seats.
Has anyone done seat D.I.Y. or should I just pay the money to have it done professionally?

Ta,

AaronS

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
yeh the wrx seats.. thats mine!!

bit of a c**t to get in ay.. they only JUST fit in the car (like between the doors) had to cut the drivers side door pocket to fit! i made simple custom mounts with square steel pipe and just bolted front inside in the existing hole and rear inside into the floor.

i can get some pics of it all for you if you want....
not sure about lowering the ride...it could but definately doesnt feel higher though!

tris

oh and btw... if your cars due for rego soon and you take it somewhere thats not dogey youl probably need an engineers certificate if your guna do it yourself to pass rego inspection. otherwise take it to the local servo where they dont care bout rego's. worked for me!

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
I just put a set of Sass (Saas?) seats i got off a mate in the micra
(2nite actually)
currently they sit slightly higher..
Sitting on standard rails with a bit of modification (square steel),
I'm going to order the universal rails u can get for the tho, apparently the sit nice and low then.

And I agree, no room once these puppies are in, back seats are useless =) But they always were anyway..
And Im going to need to modify where the seat belts are run slightly.

Mick

smidge

» CMF Member
yeah tris some pics would be great mate, i put WRX seats in an old car and they are the best compromise between sporty and comfy i've had...

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
ok heres some pics. definately worth the swap for stockies.... made such a difference to the feel of the car! they are actualy realy comfy for long trips too!

BUT WAIT.... and the best part...

scored them for free from a wrecked wrx!! apparently they are worth a fair bit. so when im sick of them i can sell them!!

Attachments

• 31170.jpg
    31170.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 40

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
front mount. this is the drivers side. the left hand mount i made from square steel pipe. its a bit like an extension plate. just simply bolted into the floor and the rail on each side of the pipe. the right hand mount is the original stock mount.

Attachments

• 31171.jpg
    31171.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 51

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
the rear uses the same steel pipe as an extension for the door side mount. bolted into the stock mount and the rail. (i was expecting a fair bit of flex from this but i havnt noticed it at all! i think because the whole pipe is resting on the floor)

the other side is drilled into the floor of the car. the nut is just inside the heat shield for the exhaust!

Attachments

• 31173.jpg
    31173.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 38

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
the only problen however. due to the seat adjustments on the side the door didnt close. so i had to do a bit of a hack job and get rid of the door pocket (which i never used anyway) tried to make it look as good as possible.

also because they are so much wider than normal seats the fuel cap and boot lever was hard to get to however ive mastered the art. just have to slide your fingers through the gap. i was going to make some sort of handle that comes up next to the seat but wasnt bothered!!

Attachments

• 31174.jpg
    31174.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 47

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
notice the small gap between the seat and floor to get to the lever. (the black plastic cover i had to take off aswell)

definately worth the inconvenience though! the seat adjustments are great. you can put the front of the seat up or down and same with the rear. customise it to fit ur ass!!

CMF_AaronS

» CMF Member
Cheers chaps for all the good oil, and some bad as well. I will keep you posted on my seat progress. There has got to be a cheep and easy way of staying in the seat the manufacturer intended every time I go around a righthander and keeping it mostly legal.

AaronS.

lol @ the fully sick install, wouldn't wana be in a serious accident with something like that bolted in. that said, a micra in a serious accident wouldn't survive anyway. i think you gotta draw the line somewhere from getting defected, and being safe.

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
there bolted in pretty tight ay... wouldnt want to test it in a crash... but realy theres not too much force put on the seat in a crash appart from the seatbelt. in my case thats the strongest side, where the seatbelt is connected to the seat (because its bolted in the original hole and the floor.

smidge

» CMF Member
thanks for the pics tris... maybe rolling march can supply a free service of installing seats as he doesn't seem to be a fan of your methods...

ps, getting those seats for a free was a SCORE i got a set for $400 and that was considered cheap 2 years ago.... thats awesome

yeh. i'll install it for free, if you get the right hardware to do it. perhaps some bride or recaro rails ay?! they work pretty nice. you get em, i'll bolt em in for ya, "free service". The setup here infront of us might work, each to there own, but no, i'm not a "fan" of using a few scrap bits of rhs to bolt what is a good seat into a car, but i guess... i tend to forget that people on here do things on a tight ass budget, and forking out that extra couple of hundred to do the job right just isn't feasable. personally, if i did that in my car (no offence), id be ashamed to show the guy down the road in his rusted out gemini, but that said, i actually love my car.

Back