best location for MAF sensor forced Micra

CMF_cactus

» CMF Member
Im after the best location for the MAF sensor on my forced silver bullet, i currently have it inline between the T25 turbo and air filter inside a custom made pipe setup. Where is the best place to locate it? Thanks in advance guys/girls..

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
If you're using MAF (i.e. hot-wire style) and not MAP, you can put it pre-turbo but i've read claims that you can get more accurate readings post-turbo. That said, there are reasons not to, such as the life of the AFM itself potentially taking a toll if used post-turbo as it's exposed to generally hotter, pressurised air but there are plenty of people out there that do run blowthrough setups.

If using MAP (Manifold absolute pressure), life is simpler - from how I understand things, the best place to mount the line to the MAP sensor is on a bung on one of the intake runners just before it enters the engine. Since it measures air pressure rather than airflow it means you potentially have a more accurate measurement of air intake levels, pressures, etc and I think it's possible for MAP to take certain atmospheric changes into account, too.

Bottom line, I'd say leave yours where it is if it's working for you now :)

---dens

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
MAF is a better sensor as it's the mass of air you need to know in order to inject the right amount of fuel, which of course it measures directly, and accurately.
A car with a MAP sensor also needs a temperature sensor in order to calculate mass.
For long term reliability the MAF sensor should be prior to the turbo & not mounted to the engine, i.e. should be mounted from the vehicle body. If you're using a blow off valve, it really needs to be plumbed in, back into the inlet after the MAF sensor.

CMF_cactus

» CMF Member
Thanks for the advice info dens and nz_aj much appreciated. I will stick with the current location. My blow off valve is currently vented to atmosphere which i will eventually plumb back in the intake. Im currently waiting on a new dizzy and im set to roll, i cant wait !I will post pics asap plus details..

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
nz_aj WROTE:

"For long term reliability the MAF sensor should be prior to the turbo & not mounted to the engine, i.e. should be mounted from the vehicle body. If you're using a blow off valve, it really needs to be plumbed in, back into the inlet after the MAF sensor.

Thanks for reminding me - while I was writing my post I was trying to remember where it was supposed to be plumbed back to if using MAF and recirc BOV.

As for having to use an air temp sensor when using MAP - I don't see that as a downside in the least as if you're running a turbo it's nice to know what your intake temps are anyway.

---dens

Back