Belt Tensioners

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
In the middle of changing both belts on tne micra. However so far i have had to actually unbolt both tensioners to get the belts off! Arn't these meant to move/slide? mine are both jammed in one position, reguardless of their screw adjustment.

Any thoughts on how too free them, one is still caught up in the pulleys so cant get it out, have given one a wack, might hit them abit harder to free them up.

cheers,

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
No idea, but now you have got me thinking. I need to check the condition of my belts tomorrow. Good thread though.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
well you have to undo the nut on the pulley to move it, problem is i dont have a vice to hold the tensioner steady, so i had to bolt it back on the block and when its on the car there is only room for a ring spanner. The other problem is its a half height nut and another problem is its recessed into the pully abit meaning there is not much nut too put ones spanner on, which consequencely ended in me half stripping the nut on both tensioners,

wonder if i can just bolt it all up with the new belts and not adjusting it. time for a dinner break,

Alex

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
okay, by removing the water pump pully i could remove the tensioner assembly, I then used an arrangement to undo the nut. The pulley bearing is pretty much had it and is an integral part of the pulley, as is the nut on the end from my efforts, so im going to wait until morning to decide what too do. Highly doubt local nissan will have one of these idler pulleys around, they look pretty generic though,

Alex

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
Okay, no aftermarket pulley avail, nissan one is $58.50AUD. I assembled it all again with new belts and the old pullley, which has about 1MM of play

Here is the measurements if anyone has some suggestions on afermarket idler pulleys:

DIAMETER 84MM
DEPTH 25MM / 1INCH to fit a 6RIB Belt
Shaft / Inner Bearing Size 12MM

Pressed steel idler pulley with non-servicable bearing,

Alex

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
I had the same problem about 2-3 years ago. There is a holden pulley available, it is almost identical sized except for the centre hole. It is made of black plastic and has a sealed bearing. I was at the time working in a workshop that had a lathe so i just turned up a simple shouldered sleave and pressed it into the centre of the bearing to reduce the hole size to suit the nissan bracket. (The holden pulley's centre hole was bigger than that of the nissan pulley's, this is why the sleave was needed.) This has been on the car for quite a while now and given no trouble at all, if I remember rightly the cost of the holden puley was about $11.00
I hope this helps

Back