Believe in D&T

markbognor

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Believe in D&T is a campaign and petition to maintain the status of design and technology as a subject in our secondary schools.
The campaign is headlined by this belief statement:

“D&T must stay at the heart of the curriculum as a statutory entitlement for all pupils aged 5-14”

D&T (Product Design/Food Technology/Textiles Technology/Electronics/Systems and Control/Graphics/Resistant Materials) is a subject that teaches a decision making process based on identification of criteria, use of research and understanding of the use of tools and materials to develop a practical solution to a problem/need.

These skills are not of course limited to just practical problems and can be applied to any problem or situation that requires a solution to be found.

It is in fact a set of skills and approaches that are crucial to being alive, particularly if you drive and maintain an old, unusual or unreliable car.

If you feel you would like to support the petition please visit:
http://www.believeindandt.org.uk/general/sign-up.html

Thanks, Mark.

That's an important cause, for example here in France they canceled the "DYT" class few years ago (for saving money) at secondary school, so now young people don't even know how to handle a soldering iron or what is a capacitor... That's the "Don't try to repair anything, throw it away and buy a new one" generation...

When i first came to england i started working in school and i was shocked with the level of theory education. it seemed that 14 year old kids are being taught same stuff ask 10 year olds in my country, later on i realized the schooling here is all about the practical and manual stuff. i was amazed with the amount of technology and inventory in the schools. Thats what makes your education. Without DT you education will go down which is a shame.
Unfortunately there are big bucks in the DT and i will save big money to the school and essentially the government. As we all now petition dont really do much nowadays. Shame

i singed anyway

I think D+T at school was the best thing, not just cos i am interested in it and enjoyed it, but i learned alot more in there than anywhere, and my profession an as electronic engineer and hobby of electronic/mechanical engineering has been boosted due to the level of D+T at school,

So petition signed

don't be silly kids don't need to be educated in how to cook their own meals, or repair clothes... thats what mums are for, and fixing broken furniture and electrical wiring? thats what dads are for,

welcome to the era of "someone else will sort it"

They seriously want to axe it? I can't think of a single person that I know that didn't enjoy D&T, if it wasn't for D&T I doubt I would of ever had the passion for woodwork that I have

(I'll sign once I'm at a computer (Y))

I can't express enough how important it is to have D&T in schools in the UK. The UK prides itself on having the brightest engineering minds in the world, how are we going to continue to grow and progress and create the next generation of engineers witout D&T.

I think that every British person on my engineering course at UNI did and really enjoyed D&T.

Matt

Signed.

To me D&T is on par with Maths and English. I would have happily dropped Religious Studies and Foreign Languages for more Design and Tech when I was at school. 8 Years after my GCSE's I'm still studying D&T. And I use it everyday, it's a fundamental part of life in various ways.

They're not planning on axing it are they? It's just to create more awareness of it's necessity in education, right?

There is a proposal that it would loose its statutory status at KS3 - if passed schools could choose not to teach it.

Signed.

To me D&T is on par with Maths and English. I would have happily dropped Religious Studies and Foreign Languages for more Design and Tech when I was at school. 8 Years after my GCSE's I'm still studying D&T. And I use it everyday, it's a fundamental part of life in various ways.

They're not planning on axing it are they? It's just to create more awareness of it's necessity in education, right?

hahaha yea, i cant believe they still teach crap like language and religious studies, from what i remember i know how to swear in french, and that wasn't even something the school taught me, and i learnt that religion is just as stupid no matter where in the world you go... DT is about facts, and relevant things, it covered things that everyone experiences in their day to day life....

where as i have had no demand to speak french, little did i know the language i would be learning would be Swedish which they don't even teach, and i care very little for religion...

Back