Bad sway bar links?

I've had a knocking sound coming from the front left wheel on my k11 for a while now. It usually appears when i turn slightly to the right on a bumpy road. The car feels unstable and the steering very sensitive. If the road is worn down so that the wheel tracks have turned into two parallel grooves you can feel the car rocking to the sides as it struggles to maintain its position on the road. The first thing I did was replace the front drop links on both sides of the car but that didn't help. I've had the car in for wheel alignment, but the workshop said the angles were quite good already. With no other ideas, my current plan was to replace the wishbone and sway bar bushings, although they seem to be in quite good condition. Then I remembered something I noticed when I replaced the dop links a while ago. The holes in the sway bar and wishbone are a couple of mm larger than the screw and the original link assembly had bushings with a small flange on one side that would fill out the remainder of the hole, just like these. However, the most common link assemblies on the market seem to have bushings without flanges, as did the ones I bought. They look like this. Have you successfully fitted sdop links like the latter? Do you think it's an obvious cause to the knocking sound or should I continue with my former plan and replace the sway bar/wishbone bushings?

Last edited:
Yes. Especially the offside one. I jacked up the car and could wobble the wheel slightly. I only realised that this was the cause of the knocking after I changed it and the noise disappeared.

I did have it set up correctly yes. For piece of mind and also I was putting brand new tyres on. I set it roughly straight by eye for a week.

Back