Bad Boy

smidge

» CMF Member
if the micra's coming back its gotta look meaner than before, so i started on a bad boy bonnet while the broken micra is slowly fixed...

here are some pics...

Attachments

• 34722.jpg
    34722.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 42

smidge

» CMF Member
i wish i had a mig! but don't know anyone with one or feel like walking the bonnet up to the exhaust shop...

just gotta go slow and not blow out the flames straight away or the weld cracks cause the thin metal cools too quick

hand sanding sucks the big one so will get an air or drill sander attatchment for the rest of it

shouldnt have to use fibreglass bog on that mate.. if its welded.. should only need to use normal filler. tidy up inside while you got the bog out aswell :) fibreglass bog takes ****in ages to sand back. prime up wat you got, throw a guide coat over it, sand it back, fill up any imperfections with some fine ****, then bust out the spray gun. p.s, make sure you sand back to bare metal when applying bog, if its stuck straight on top of paint, it will eventually start to crack and fall out

smidge

» CMF Member
tidy up inside??

i think i got some normal bog somewhere... after all the work i didn't want the new bits to crack so i thought i'd go with the tough shiz

CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member
Hey Smidge, I reckon you need to keep the shape slightly concaved like the attached pic. I think it will make it look more like it could be 'factory' rather than just a straight 'chop' look. :)

I'd also be interested in how you reckon the lights (at night) are affected.

Attachments

• 34776.jpg
    34776.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 81

CMF_lue_driver

» CMF Member
littlebear WROTE:

"Hey Smidge, I reckon you need to keep the shape slightly concaved like the attached pic. I think it will make it look more like it could be 'factory' rather than just a straight 'chop' look. :)

I'd also be interested in how you reckon the lights (at night) are affected.

if only i could make mine look that good...

...im also thinking of a bmw m3 e46 look... :p

smidge

» CMF Member
sikk11: no difference with lights

turbo: yeah thats cause it was my first go, heaps of effort, could do it perfect 2nd time around

EVLGTI: painted with colour matched spray cans, total cost $13 in paint, the rest of the cars pretty rooted colour wise since my rally driving day so i'm not too worried at this point. A colour close to original looks better than primer i reckon

CMF_Dickie P

» CMF Member
If anyone in brisbane wants welding done pm me i have a tig mig + oxy and a decent shed. shoehorning a wrx boxer into a alfa sprint atm, and a 351 into my fj40. stainless and alloy no probs. back purging on all stainless tig work. just some advice to old mate, welding galve is very nasty, the gasses made are hazardous. grind it off next time or get some black plate and drink milk if your affected by it. good effort tho. it looks killer.

smidge

» CMF Member
hey dickie, yeah i'm aware of the gasses and did it outside and avoided breathing it in, no white powder in the mask or anything...

couldn't find any mild steel or stainless sheet thin enough but then i don't know of any metal yards around my way (there are probly a few!)

would love to getmyself a mig or tig machine, used them at tafe so got the skills but no equipment!

Back