Back box hitting tow bar help!

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
hi, i just fitted a tow bar to my car and noticed that the back box now bangs against the tow bar. i have bodged a quick fix by taking the back box off it's hangers and dropped it down on cable ties but it's not a good idea.... i have a long drive tomorow and the cable ties will probably melt.

does anyone have any ideas? really the best thing to do would be to move the back box back by about an inch but i've tried pushing it back and it just springs back into place...

anything i can do? a quick reply would really help loads tahnks :)

is there anywere you can adjust the manifold? how easy would it be to cut a bit out of the down pipe?

does anyone else have a tow bar?

U can try getting some of that foam piping insulation stuff from b&q (about 60p a length) and put that around the exhaust pipe or the towbar to stop it from banging, til u get a long term fix.

nice one, thanks,

i was trying to think of something heat proof but i'll i could come up with is that exhaust fix stuff...

i'll have to give that a try and talk to a garage about cutting the piping down..

drop the backbox off the rubber mounts,get sum mole grips and bend the metal hangers so it pushes the backbox away from the tow bar,,

thanks guys,

the problem is that the bar is straight infront of the back box, and i have had to drop it soo low that it's nearly hitting the rear axel lol,

so it has to go back, about an inch, but the only way i can see of doing it is by cutting a bit out of the pipe.

i'll try some more messing with the hangers :)

thanks

hello mate
i had the same problem... i have an ashley back box and a tow bar for my jet ski...
they started knocking so i took the exhaust off put it in a clamp and bent the hangers so that the exhaust now sits slightly lower and to the right... now you really have to hit a big pot hole ( not hard on our ****ty roads) for it to hit..

cool hope this might help
chris

nice one mate thanks loads,

i think bending the hangers will do the job but the guys i bought the tow bar off said they''ll have a look at it for me so hopefully they can sort it out :)

Back