Average running temps

CMF_LonePhantom

» CMF Member
Hey all, I was just wondering when looking at the temperature gauge position most peoples sit at on average.

Mine always seems to sit just barely above the lowest point. If the cars getting a bit of a hit up a hill or something it might make it one third up the gauge, but over all the gauge gives the idea that the car is running very cool.

Is this the norm, or may I have an issue with something. Car seems fine after say a half hour drive to or from work, coolant levels are constant. Everything seems ok, other than the low gauge reading.

CMF_LonePhantom

» CMF Member
I was thinking it most probably the thermostat. Are thermostats for the CG13DE expensive? I was thinking of picking up one fairly soon when I saw this happening. Anyone replaced one themselves? I haven't noticed where it is on this engine, can someone point out where it is? Thanks. :)

CMF_maat

» CMF Member
your temp needle should sit fractionally lower or higher of the 1/2 way mark (at running temperature) if its staying cold your thermostat is rooted and yes it will do damage to your engine, most damage and wearing of engines is from cold starts so if your cars running cold 24/7 your wearing it out quicker. thermostats for the cg13de are cheap as chips, i wouldnt pay over $30 for a full blister pack

CMF_LonePhantom

» CMF Member
Thanks, yeah I picked up a new thermostat and the self adhesive gasket for under $30.00 all up. Some new coolant too.

What a pain, I only just replaced the coolant like a week ago. Now I have to drain it again! lol!

CMF_1300cc

» CMF Member
i have fuel consumption problem as well, after reading this thread, i noticed my temp gauge is always low, just a fraction above the first line, but after changing the thermostat($10), liquid sealant($6.99) and new coolant ($14.00) now its reading half way mark......next to monitor is the fuel consumption, currently im averaging 8L/100ks.....

CMF_1300cc

» CMF Member
lowmicra,

i just have a full tank, if there's no improvement on fuel consumption, ill try first the temperature sensor, i read it on another thread, but ye, fuel filter and air filter will be on the list....

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
a voltmeter on the middle lambda wire takes all the guesswork out of sensor/fuel milage issues
if its closed looping (fluctuating between .3v and .7v) at cruise within a minute or two from cold, then the lambda and coolant temp sensors are fine and dandy :)

CMF_1300cc

» CMF Member
i have measured my first fill today and consumption is 5.5L/100kms...I cant say this is accurate but ill do probable 2 more fills and average the consumption.....the needle now is almost half way after driving for 10 mins.....the culprit thermostat

Back