automatic gearbox problem

CMF_yongw99

» CMF Member
I drive an automatic 1.285cc year 1000 Nissan Micra in the UK.

The other day I parked my car and I couldn't move the gear-stick forward past "N" from "D" to get to "P". This has only happened twice in the past 4 weeks, but oddly enough, it happened in the exact same spot when I was parking in front of the gym. So I left it on "N" and came back 2 hours later and restarted my car and I still couldn't move the stick forward. What I did was to go forward on "D" again a little and then I could move the gear-stick forward to "R".

Should I be worried ? The car runs smoothly and the engine runs quite silently.

Thanks

CMF_david (2)

» CMF Member
It Could be the torque converter starting to go...but I wouldn't start worrying just yet....could be something else...and if it is it could still work for years yet...just getting progressively worse.

CMF_MicraNut

» CMF Member
yongw99 WROTE:

"I drive an automatic 1.285cc year 1000 Nissan Micra in the UK. <BR><BR>The other day I parked my car and I couldn't move the gear-stick forward past "N" from "D" to get to "P". This has only happened twice in the past 4 weeks, but oddly enough, it happened in the exact same spot when I was parking in front of the gym. So I left it on "N" and came back 2 hours later and restarted my car and I still couldn't move the stick forward. What I did was to go forward on "D" again a little and then I could move the gear-stick forward to "R".<BR><BR>Should I be worried ? The car runs smoothly and the engine runs quite silently.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>

I drove an automatic mercedes at work the other day, stopped to put it into park and could not get it out of park to drive off again! a mechanic came over with a rubber mallet whacked down on the top of the gear stick and it unlocked it out of park so i could select drive again! weird. Apparently that is mercedes official way to get auto transmission cars that are stuck in park out of park again! Give it a try it may work.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
The brake pedal inhibit switch is possibly not working & stopping you moving the selector.

Pressing the "red release button/slide thing" should enable you to move it in & out of park etc.

Back