Arrrrg!! Diesel Oil!

I dont think its all doom and gloom but yes it should be changed.

A question came up some time ago about using diesel-rated oils to flush out petrol engines. The idea was that because of the higher detergent levels in diesel engine oil, it might be a good cleaner / flusher for a non-diesel engine. Well most of the diesel oil specification oils can be used in old petrol engines for cleaning, but you want to use a low specification oil to ensure that you do not over clean your engine and lose compression for example. Generally speaking, an SAE 15W/40 diesel engine oil for about 500 miles might do the trick.

As in most situations like this I turn to the bible....

Which says:

Using Diesel oil for flushing

A question came up some time ago about using diesel-rated oils to flush out petrol engines. The idea was that because of the higher detergent levels in diesel engine oil, it might be a good cleaner / flusher for a non-diesel engine. Well most of the diesel oil specification oils can be used in old petrol engines for cleaning, but you want to use a low specification oil to ensure that you do not over clean your engine and lose compression for example. Generally speaking, an SAE 15W/40 diesel engine oil for about 500 miles might do the trick.

Hmmm well perhaps todays mistake was actually a good thing for my engine... just a little bit expensive thats all.

While we're on the topic, should I go out and get Halfords 10/40 for £16 or Castrol for like £23?

Edit: Thanks alan :)

In my K10, it has sounded its best and run very well on Halfords own oil, compared to Castrol and other brands! I'd go with that personally :)

I'l leave this thread in general if anyone has any further advice on the diesel issue.

Well Im not planning on driving it as much as 500 miles with this stuff in it!!

Gonna just have to bite the bullet and buy some more. :doh:

Dad said he'd gimme some money if I flushed his engine out with it though because he's got a pretty old petrol engine.

I use the vauxhall 10/40 semi synthetic.... local motorfactor sells it for about £11 for 5L..... we use it at work so i pay less than that but it is good stuff, modern vauxhalls use it and have a service interval of 20k:upside:

I would leave it in for a couple of hundred miles then another oil/filter change

stonesie said:
I use the vauxhall 10/40 semi synthetic.... local motorfactor sells it for about £11 for 5L..... we use it at work so i pay less than that but it is good stuff, modern vauxhalls use it and have a service interval of 20k:upside:

I would leave it in for a couple of hundred miles then another oil/filter change

Thanks for that. I'll leave it in for a full tank and then do the job again hehe.

Back