Anyone got a decent guide for front bumper removal?

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
I've just washed a large oily patch off my intercooler and can see one of the tubes has a large stone dink in it that's obviously blowing oil mist out. An intercooler is fairly cheap on ebay but it would be a lot easier with no bumper :confused:...

*ahem* well .......
-Remove the light clusters with have the indicators on them which are both held in place by three clips and a couple of pop-screws on the underside of each cluster. Simply lift the tongue of the clips up and then pull the clip out. The pop-screws simply need just the circular centre part of the screw to be lifted all the way up which will in turn release the rest of the screw and come free. This is incredibly awkward to reach but it's doable. Once done you can either disconnect the clusters or simply sit them up out of the way.
-Locate the 4 or 6 screws on the underside of the bumper which attach the lip to the chassis of the car. Unscrew these and make sure the underside of the bumper will freely move around in-case you've missed any.
-Remove the plastic guards inside the wheel-wells of the front wheels and locate the 10mm bolt(s) holding the bumper onto the chassis. It will be behind the plastic guard at about 10 0'clock (if the wheel was a clock :p ).
-Wiggle the bumper around and check for any points at which it might still be attached. If you have removed everything then it should come off with relative ease if you pull on it.

MAKE SURE you bag the bolts and mark them so you know where they came from. I promise that you won't remember because I removed my front bumper and it is now mostly cable tied on hahaha but boy do those cable ties do a good job .... and make sure that the foam guard on the front of the 'bumper bar' is in-place before you put the bumper back on. It is a black rectangular piece of foam that sits just under the locking mechanism for the bonnet to cushion the front bumper if it hits something and also to add rigidity to it.

The classic engineer's tree diagram ...

Attachments

• engineering101.jpg
    engineering101.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 704
Thanks R-reg, certainly quicker than the official method :D.

I like the diagram!

Back