annoying belt sound plus some advise needed

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
annoying belt sound plus some advice needed

Hi guys

Everyday when i start up the car, an annoying wet belt sound appears from under the bonnet. It wont be as loud at speed and it eventually disappears after a while. Do you know which belt are we talking about? is it expensive to repair? what will the garage require to carry out to fix this?

I can remember my dad's old Ford Sierra had this problem years ago and it was so loud people used to stare at the car making the passengers very embarassed!

My MOT is due in March but my mileage shows I should have a service, what do you suggest I do? service now and MOT later? both together in march? or minor service now then major service with MOT in march?

service the car now rather than next year. being a student, I could not afford to service the car, however it caught up with me and I have to now change the timing chain.

The car was bought at 7000 miles and had been serviced. I serviced it next at 35000 miles, I know it is very bad. But considering that the car was had no major issues apart from that timing chain. But I hear this is a common error on the micra, I know nissan will blame me for lack of service, but I have read many times, people who have had regular service and at a lower mileage than mine . But their timing chain had been needing attention.

service now if you can

nah i wasnt expecting it to be covered under warranty anyway, is this an expensive job anyway? could an average joe in my local garage do this opposed to the main dealers?

i think its probably best to major service it now and then perhaps a mini one with the MOT next year. I havent checked on the oil for ages and i think it does need some attention.

really? but i dont even trust myself with an electric toothbrush so probably not. lol

i called up today and they offer 3 kinds of service levels, basic, full and major and they are priced at £69, £159 and £220. just have to look at my bank account now....haha

Same problem with my car. Am leaving the car with dealer tomorrow so that they can start the motor from cold and see whats causing the squeak under the bonnet. Will update you what they say.

They say the fan belt needed changing. £22 belt £20 labour plus VAT and courtesy car insurance £5. All repaired for £55. Noise gone, hopefully tomorrow morning the noise does not come back.

well that sounds cheap they said to me it may need £45 just for labour, we'll see the bill in full later on after work.

Did you ever get this sorted? Mine's been doing it for a little while, it's so annoying and makes it sounds like an old shed.

Someone mentioned a pulley or belt that may need replacing?

Cheers, I know this is an older thread but no use in duplicating.

i did, it was the slipping auxiliary belt and pulley. all replaced for about £90 as far as i can remember. The labour was more than the actual parts - what a rip off!

a little problem like that can be sorted in your local garage, save yourself some money and a journey.

hope things go well.

I had this problem - was diagnosed as a squeaky pulley and replaced under warranty. Didn't realise this was a common problem and surprising for a 2 yr old vehicle

Back