K11 Creaking sound from front left suspension

Hi guys,
I need a little advice from fellow Micra owners. My Y reg k11 has developed a reeaallly annoying creaking sound from the front left suspension area and I'm wondering if you can help me diagnose it :)

Description:
- Creaking sound from front left suspension
- Is worse when only driver is in car, improves when carrying passengers.
- Creaks worse when doing a tight right turn (ie, pulling out from a side street or car park exit) and
when going over small bumps under normal driving (anything smaller than a speed bump)
- Handling does not seem to be affected, car drives straight and does not pull to a side, no
movement in steering wheel.
- Car does NOT creak if I bounce down on the bonnet (goes down when pressed and back up
once - no 'bouncy bouncy') It only creaks while driving. I can't get it to creak when its parked up.
- Car passed MOT in May last year, it had the creaking sound then as well. Nothing was mentioned.
- I've had a look around the area. Nothing obvious. No play in components.

In short, it's had this creaking sound for around a year. It steadily got worse until later in 2014, where it seems to have got to its worst. I don't want to spend £100's on garage fees for them to search for the problem as I can do most work at home in my garage, that's not a problem. What I want to know is if anyone has had this problem as well, and what it turned out to be?

Thanks in advance!

James

alfantasti

Club Member (Trial)
I've had a similar noise on my Almera on a few occasions. A kind of rubbery/ships mast creaky sound. Difficult to explain unless you hear it lol :confused:
I find the cure is to spray all the rubber parts on the suspension with rubber silicone lubricant.
Anti roll bar bushes, if your Micra has these, including the bushes which attach the bar to the chassis.
The wishbone bushes, where they attach to the chassis (Not the balljoint end)
The part of the shock absorber where the spring sits at the bottom. There's a small length of rubber pipe which covers the end of the spring. Again, your Micra may or may not have this.
Then lastly, the top of the suspension strut from inside the wheel arch.

Just give em a good blast, of course making sure you don't get this stuff on your brake parts!

This may or may not work for you, but is a cheap fix if it does.
Also, silicone lubricant is great for window and sunroof seals, to help prevent them from perishing, so the can won't go to waste!

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I need a little advice from fellow Micra owners. My Y reg k11 has developed a reeaallly annoying creaking sound from the front left suspension area and I'm wondering if you can help me diagnose it :)

Description:
- Creaking sound from front left suspension
- Is worse when only driver is in car, improves when carrying passengers.
- Creaks worse when doing a tight right turn (ie, pulling out from a side street or car park exit) and
when going over small bumps under normal driving (anything smaller than a speed bump)
- Handling does not seem to be affected, car drives straight and does not pull to a side, no
movement in steering wheel.
- Car does NOT creak if I bounce down on the bonnet (goes down when pressed and back up
once - no 'bouncy bouncy') It only creaks while driving. I can't get it to creak when its parked up.
- Car passed MOT in May last year, it had the creaking sound then as well. Nothing was mentioned.
- I've had a look around the area. Nothing obvious. No play in components.

In short, it's had this creaking sound for around a year. It steadily got worse until later in 2014, where it seems to have got to its worst. I don't want to spend £100's on garage fees for them to search for the problem as I can do most work at home in my garage, that's not a problem. What I want to know is if anyone has had this problem as well, and what it turned out to be?

Thanks in advance!

James
Mine does exactly the same bud, I think its just rubbing somewhere, I don't bother with it personally.