Puffing/ Scraping sound

Hi all :)

As some of you may probably know by now, I'm restoring a K11 Super S that has been in storage for quite some time. I've just noticed another sound today (OH JOY!).

When the engine is warmed up (1/2 on temp gauge) I get a noise coming from the area of the water pump. Its not very loud and can only be heard on tickover, but makes the car sound like thomas the tank engine -.- It sounds like either puffing, or something like rubber grazing or slightly scraping against something.

My first thought was the head gasket (AGAIN!) blowing, but on closer inspection I doubt it is, as its less frequent than the piston firing and I 'hugged' the engine (A b1tch to do when its hot) and can't feel any puffs of air.

Belts are fairly worn and cracked though will be replacing soon. Any idea what the noise may be?

P.S. - If a belt were to give up the ghost on the Micra, what would happen? I'm assuming no terminal damadge would occur as the cams are chain driven?

if the thin auxilary belt or the thicker alternator belt are old n cracking its a good idea to replace em, more importantly the aux belt cos it runs the waterpump.
when the aux belt goes, ur temp will shoot up n potentially overheat causing more issues and if you have PAS the steering suddenly gets harder.
when the alternator belt goes, ur battery/alternator dash light just turns on and it'll be running off the battery instead.

the noise could be part of the belt pulley system either from a glaze spot of the belt as it makes it way around or the waterpump bearing or the belt tensioner bearing or the alternator bearing

Back