Alternator doesn't work until a 'rev up'

Hi all,

I changed the fan belt on my '00 1.3 K11 the other day, all was fine until I put everything back together and went to turn the key.

When I put the key in the ignition, it the speedo didn't light up, radio didn't work, nothing, the car was acting like it had a flat battery.

I started the car, and still (started fine) nothing, gave the car a rev, and everything came to life.

Checked power to the alternation via a multimeter, and as suspected, the alternator is getting no power until I rev the engine and wake it up, and then it's fine and holds charge, but will reset if I turn the car on and off?

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance, any help much appreciated.

I had this problem on my bike, it was the rectifier (built into the alternator on micras)

I don't know if they can be replaced on there own or if you need a whole new alternator, off to the scrappy I say

I just realised I put this in the wrong section, doh!

Thanks for the replies guys, will look into the rectifier, and yep, tension is correct.

So it starts normally even though there are no dash lights? If so you have a wiring problem somewhere. Possibly ground on the car or something.

I had the exact same problem right after the manifold got fitted, my dads mate came and sorted it while i was at work and he said it was a fuse. I cant remember in detail what one or anything but my car worked fine after it if thats any help to ya.

Back