Alloy Wheels

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
Ok, just thought I'd mention, it makes me laugh when people refer to alloy wheels. When 'Alloy' wheels are NOT alloy, however steel wheels ARE alloy wheels.

Steel is an alloy, where as 'alloy' wheels are made from an aluminium which is NOT an alloy.

So.... yeah. rock on

i thought the term "alloy" was referining to a mixture of metals that are put together in order to change there properties from there basic compound, such as in an alloy wheel. but yeah refering to allumininium as "alloy" for short is wrong.

May have been carried from when Most wheels were made of wood, and very exensive wheels were made of an alloy..

Horse and cart etc..

59 bhp is more than enough said:
i thought the term "alloy" was referining to a mixture of metals that are put together in order to change there properties from there basic compound, such as in an alloy wheel. but yeah refering to allumininium as "alloy" for short is wrong.

This is true. It it made to change the properties of the metal, to make it stronger for example. Think there is more than aluminium in alloy wheels though, hence making them alloy. :) But I could be wrong.

yup.like gold for example,,9ct is 375,,thats 375 out of 1000 is actually gold the rest is other metals mixed into it to omake it more wearing,its colour is also effected,higher the carat the softer it is

same with wheels,the alloy is made to suit the wheel,,why some are alot lighter/stronger than ohers

ide put you on the spot and ask you some more,,but you have google at your finger tips

RIK said:
ide put you on the spot and ask you some more,,but you have google at your finger tips

go on try me, im that board(sat night n im stuck in!), i dont need google, i was top at chemistry! fire away!

R05_Micra said:
go on try me, im that board(sat night n im stuck in!), i dont need google, i was top at chemistry! fire away!

pub quiz :p what element is used to put the green colour in glass?

Alienfish360 said:
Ok, just thought I'd mention, it makes me laugh when people refer to alloy wheels. When 'Alloy' wheels are NOT alloy, however steel wheels ARE alloy wheels.

Steel is an alloy, where as 'alloy' wheels are made from an aluminium which is NOT an alloy.

So.... yeah. rock on

Ok, just thought I'd mention, it makes me laugh when people talk about stuff they don't know about trying to put down other people. Aluminium is a poor engineering material and is alloyed in nearly every application, including wheels. The alloy used is generally 95% aluminium, 4% copper, and the remainder made up of magnesium and silicon.

Back