Aircon re-gasing?

F

fastfrank

Hi All,

Aircon hs slowly become less effective as the months have gone on and now makes no difference when its on (although the compressor still kicks in). I assume it needs re-gasing and was contemplating using the kits you can pickup from Halfords?

Anyone know what I mean and do they work well?

Thanks
Frank

firstly I was under the impression that only Ed, Andy and I had K10's with air-con...

BUT: k10's use R12 a/c gas which is illegal to buy or sell in this country and most of the civilised world (apart from the states. go figure :p), oh and it's illegal to import it. Your best bet is to try finding a firm that'll offer an alternative gas, the gasses used in modern cars aren't suitable as it's too acidic for the o-rings apparently. But on a car as old as a K10 the o-rings could probably do with being replaced anyway so I dunno. The gold one's just got an inert gas in it at the moment which is a pain, but nevermind.

Oh I just thought, you might be refering to a figaro :p, same story as far as the gas goes tho I'm afraid.

Pete

there is companys that do r12 regasing they use a alternative gas not r134 or r12, search on the 300zx owners club as most 300zxs have r12 gas air con systems. they might be able to point you to the right place of where to get it regassed

I would take some pics but the car needs a wash and given the legendry status of 'the gold one' i'd get an ear bashing for letting it get wet.

It's basically the A/C system from one an ST, the compressor bolts on towards the front of the engine, the pipework goes up and round the engine bay, the condenser (i've prob got the terminology the wrong way round) replaces the big ugly plastic pipework under the dash. I still need to wire it in properly. I'll either do that when I get some time or leave it for Cat to sort out when she takes the car off my hands.

Back