Air intake - what the hell?

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Hey, i was just examining my air intake, to discover a pipe, that goes nowhere. And it got me thinking, what if i cut it off? or opened the end of it? Any gains? Any drawbacks?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
That's a resonator. Keeps noise from the air being sucked into the engine to a minimum.

You're better off leaving all that in there to keep it looking stock and adding asecondary (and larger) air pipe from behind the engine up into the airbox with a pickup scoop point along the floorline of the car.

cisco did this to his white super s and apart from some critical design flaws in regards to PVC vs concrete gutters I believe it worked quite well.

CMF_w8upforme

» CMF Member
I've been told that taking of the resonator alone results in losing about 10Nm of torque (which is quite a lot for a standard engine producing about 118 Nm as standard).
This goes for standard engines when you replace the standard airbox with an induction kit placed on top of the throttlebody.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Correct.

The only way you will gain any every-day driving enhancements through the way of your air intake is if you can get colder air to the throttle body.

Otherwise, leave it factory.

Back