Air Box connect pipe Snapped - Know a decent Glue for Plastic That Works?

Morning all, snapped the small pipe to the airbox. Fairly clean break but unsure of a decent glue that will cement the two parts together.

Was thinking to glue it & then strong tape wrap it. Any recommendations what glue might properly cement the two parts together? There's a lot of glues with big claims ... not sure how many of them really work. Know you can get some types that melt the parts together but not sure of product names etc.

Thanks

Looking again, seems this was already broken and someone has already attempted a glue repair.

Wandering if it might just be better get a replacement box? Anyone know if the Mk2 one will fit a Mk1? It's a 95 1.0L. Cheers

Just went and had a look out and got some epoxy putty. I think the type of plastic the unit is made of means a glue is unlikely be a long term fix.

Used this stuff before for plumbing breaks and it sets pretty hard. Lets see....

You could try UPVC cement that is used to glue plastic plumbing fittings and drain pipes......
failing that a hot melt glue gun is a good investment......

Yeah I just dug some of that out the glue box John ... got plenty so worth a shot. I'm not 100% sure exactly what type of plastic it's built of but can't hurt. Right you just changed my plan .... was just about start mixing that putty up but will give that a shot first.

Just another question John, never tried a glue gun, does it set hard? That could be even better if it sets hard around the break and will layer up? And does it set plastic like ... guess it does

Yeah I just dug some of that out the glue box John ... got plenty so worth a shot. I'm not 100% sure exactly what type of plastic it's built of but can't hurt. Right you just changed my plan .... was just about start mixing that putty up but will give that a shot first.

Just another question John, never tried a glue gun, does it set hard? That could be even better if it sets hard around the break and will layer up? And does it set plastic like ... guess it does
Glue gun sets hard, but flexible and bonds to the plastic, at £9.99 a good addition to the tool box:cool:

Glue gun sets hard, but flexible and bonds to the plastic, at £9.99 a good addition to the tool box:cool:

Amazingly I found a gun and some sticks that I bought light years ago and never used! You can imagine the rest of our workshop!

Yep trying it right now. Think it's going to take a few layers but is looking promising. I might wrap that epoxy putty round the gun glued build. It sets rock like and should support the glue effect nicely.

Nice one John

many of us just fired the pipes and carbon canister etc into the bin :)

Yeah I did look on ebay .... if John had not come back so quickly that would have been next step but could not see one clearly marked at a Mk1.

That said ... I think John takes today's man of the match crown from you yesterday Frank :) .... looks like the glue solution working quite well so far.

What's interesting me now is which toad who borrowed it over the last few years broke it. I suppose at least they had a go at fixing it. I wandered why there were so many brittle leaf pieces in the top of the intake :)

Well 4 sticks of glue later, it's looking very creative but rather good. Have deliberately overdone the weld but it's forming rather well. Right 10 mins and the moment of truth .... fitting! Quietly confident. Is good stuff the hot weld .... it looks a bit limp when it comes out but if you pace the layering carefully it does as you say come out with quite a good bit of flexible strength which is exactly whats needed.

Result! Works a bloody treat! Thanks for the steer John .... no longer will the glue gun be consigned to the dusty corner .... it will be taking center stage in future. All the best

Back