Advice on DSLR

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
I'm thinking of buying a digital SLR camera. My last SLR was bought back in the 80's and is 35mm film.

I've mainly been useing a Panasonic Lumix compact over the last few years. It's 5 megapixal with a Lecia lens and performs pretty good for stills and short mpeg video.

However I'd like the ability to change lenses with real WYSIWYG viewing through the lens as opposed to a screen on the back.

So looking for some suggestions. I'm assuming Pentax,Nikon & Canon are still the big 3 in cameras but really not been keeping up with them for yrs now.

Budget up to $1,300 but preferably under the $1,000. Does not have to have a gazillion mp as I beleive once you get up to 12 it becomes a bit academic unless your a pro.

Looking for durability,good warrenty, ease of use and if it can do mpeg as well that would be a bonus.

Mike

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
sony is the best value for money, pentax is going china..canon then nicon the best. make sure you buy is one that uses a cmos sensor though.
also theres mirror shutter and digital, with mirror system the faster frame/sec the more expensive.

CMF_33driver

» CMF Member
+1 for the Canon EOS 550D, I have a 500D (previous model) and a 1000D (lower spec, spare body), I love them, the view screen is far superior to Nikon in my opinion AND, Canon's lenses carry a world wide warranty.

Get the Canon body from Australia, cause they are country based warranties, but it gives you the freedom to buy lenses overseas at half the cost and still be able to warranty them at an Aussie canon reseller.

I picked up my 10-22 Wide Angle lens for like $800AUD overseas, was like $1500 in Australia!

My mate has a Nikon (D5000 or D3000 can't remember), takes comparable pictures to the D500/550, so either way, I like the canon feel in the hand though.

I'd strongly suggest holding the bodies of whichever brands you are looking at as everyone is different :)

CMF_adz14

» CMF Member
I would recommend, for your budget, looking second hand.

You could pick up a 40D canon body nice and cheap, and have a decent amount of money left over for some good glass. At any rate, glass is what will make the biggest difference. My current kit consists of 40D, 10-22mm Canon, 17-55 2.8 and the good old nify fifty 50mm 1.8.

I don't do much motorsport these days, but mostly landscape/portraits, so the glass I have covers those pretty well. I will however, hope to gain an 85 1.8 sometime soon.

CMF_hotfunk67

» CMF Member
adz14 WROTE:

"I would recommend, for your budget, looking second hand.

You could pick up a 40D canon body nice and cheap, and have a decent amount of money left over for some good glass. At any rate, glass is what will make the biggest difference. My current kit consists of 40D, 10-22mm Canon, 17-55 2.8 and the good old nify fifty 50mm 1.8.

I don't do much motorsport these days, but mostly landscape/portraits, so the glass I have covers those pretty well. I will however, hope to gain an 85 1.8 sometime soon.

Good advice about second hand. Canon 5D is a great camera and is full frame (equivalent to 35mm). 40D is a good camera too, no video on these though if that is important.
85 1.8 is a brilliant lens, 135 f2 is better but twice the price.

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
mipcar WROTE:

"Thanks guys, keep ideas coming. I'm familiar with mirror shutters from my 35mm days.

mycra, when you say cmos sensor is there other types not as good? Is there a price point where you know you will get a cmos sensor?

your looking at 700 up... you should be able to find out from whoevers selling to you or online specs... with mirror shutters anything over 7.5 or 8/fames per sec you have to buy the body and lens seperate. but sony does it as a pack thats why value for money..

let me know when you're about to make up ur mind on which one... il see if i can get it cheaper..

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
also 2 functions try to make sure you get:

1, live view(take photo via screen not lens).
2, auto focus, auto focus with live fiew...

you'll be surprised some top end cameras dont come with live view..

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Thanks everyone. Video is not really important I can live without that feature.
So far only been into the smaller camera stores in the shopping centres and they don't have a good range and only one qualified staff member. It gets frustrating after about 5 mins when the sales girl keeps disappearing to find answers to my questions.

When I get a chance I'll go to one of the larger camera houses in the city or outer suburbs.

Thanks for all the suggestions people.

CMF_hotfunk67

» CMF Member
mipcar WROTE:

WYSIWYG viewing through the lens as opposed to a screen on the back.

You don't need live view but most cameras have it these days usually with video as well as they work off the same function.
The great thing about going with Nikon or Canon is that you will have access to a gazillion used lenses on ebay.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
One camera shop I phoned suggested a Pentax K-X.. The one you can get in several coloured bodies. I had a look at the specs online and it does not mention a cmos sensor. Having said that it retails for about $150 less then aN EOS 500D.

One thing in the favour of a Pentax is that I might be able to still use some of my 35mm lenses, albeit without having the autofocus and power zoom features.

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
mipcar WROTE:

"One camera shop I phoned suggested a Pentax K-X.. The one you can get in several coloured bodies. I had a look at the specs online and it does not mention a cmos sensor. Having said that it retails for about $150 less then aN EOS 500D.

One thing in the favour of a Pentax is that I might be able to still use some of my 35mm lenses, albeit without having the autofocus and power zoom features.

i bought the kx last year for the missus...its a very good camera has a cmos censor and has most and very good features...6-700 it'll cost you in the net or 8-900 in retaiil. downside is its a budget camera and all parts are sourced overseas and assembled in vietnam... doesn't fit a a very very reliable camera...

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
It's not a DSLR, but I have the Micro 4/3rds Panasonic GF1 with the 20mm pancake lense. I also have the 14-140mm zoom too.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicGF1/

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09030314panasonic14-140mmhd.asp

The 20mm lense is great in low light and as a point and shoot portrait snapper, with a steady hand I rarely use the flash or tripod indoors. The GF1 has pretty much all the manual features of a DSLR, can shoot in RAW etc, but is a more compact size as it doesn't use the morror/prisms of a SLR.

The only downside is that there is no live view finder, only the LCD on the back which pauses as you close the shutter and makes it hard to follow fast moving objects. You can buy a digital view finder, but I haven't bothered yet as I am used to the small point and shoot compacts.

I think next time I will go a full DSLR, but that is simply as comparable accessories etc are cheaper for those than for the micro 4/3 stuff. That is a long while away though.

Back