AC compressor problem

Hello.
my ac stopped working last year,and last week i went for a service
i filled it with new freon,but it still didnt work
so the guy at the service station told me that the problem is the ac compressor
he said that it costs 150Eu for a used one and +80Eu for the installation.
well thats too much for me,and i prefer to melt in the streets of athens.
can i be sure if it is the compressor the problem?
where can i find another one in better price?
is it possible that i can change it by myself?:(

does the compressor actually engage and turn round? there is no actual way to tell what part has a problem unless you fill the system with a special gas (its UV reactive) and go round the whole system with a UV lamp looking for leaks. an air con system is relatively simple and probably the most likely fail is either a leak or a block

If it's just been regased you'll need to get it emptied as it's poisonous stuff! I'm not sure on your laws on this stuff but over here you can't vent it to the atmosphere
Of course you may make a mistake and accidentally release it were no one can witness it ;)
Pretty straight forward job once the gas is out, remove the pipes slacken the belt remove the compressor
On refitting I always use pag oil on the o rings to help them seal correctly but you should be fine
I'd check scrap yard or eBay for a second hand unit, might even be cheaper to ship one from here, I think dan removed his so has that spare

does the compressor actually engage and turn round? there is no actual way to tell what part has a problem unless you fill the system with a special gas (its UV reactive) and go round the whole system with a UV lamp looking for leaks. an air con system is relatively simple and probably the most likely fail is either a leak or a block

when i press the ac button i hear a sound that clicks and then the engine revs a bit more.

Back