ABS

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Put the disc brake rear-end on another car, sure, but it's honestly not worth the hassle of transferring over all the lines, the unit itself and all of the electricals to another car just for ABS. Personally as someone who has one micra with and one without, I personally prefer to drive the one without. The ABS system that came with the K11 is rather unsophisticated and you're better off investing in a brake upgrade for the fronts of whatever you end up driving and move the disc brake rear-end to that car, too.

---dens

CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"Put the disc brake rear-end on another car, sure, but it's honestly not worth the hassle of transferring over all the lines, the unit itself and all of the electricals to another car just for ABS. Personally as someone who has one micra with and one without, I personally prefer to drive the one without. The ABS system that came with the K11 is rather unsophisticated and you're better off investing in a brake upgrade for the fronts of whatever you end up driving and move the disc brake rear-end to that car, too.

---dens

+1

I once gave a mate a demo of how 'great' it was that my Micra had ABS and his Mini didn't. Scared the bejeezus out of us both.

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
its a pretty big job cos it involves swapping:

abs control unit
all looms
brake master cyl
master cyl to abs modulator brake lines
abs modulator to front brake lines
abs modulator to rear brake lines
abs modulator
abs relay units
4 abs sensor wiring
front abs uprights
front abs hubs
whole rear abs axle with abs hubs
rear discs
rear calipers
rear disc brake caliper hoses
maybe instrument panel? (or the abs bulb)

CMF_Yom2

» CMF Member
my 2 cents.

after upgrading the brakes on my k11 to n15 items I learnt to work WITH or AROUND the abs rather than work against it.

since then I have had run ins with ABS, traction control and ESP on 2 different vehicles.

I do not hate any of it despite it sometimes causing frustration. 99% of the time, it is 100% user error on my part which caused the frustration.

no point trying to change something you can't.

If you think you want ABS, go for it. Be aware that it will change the vehicle perhaps not for the best. The Bosch system fitted to the series 2 K11 is the go compared to the earlier Lucas system in the series 1.

Back