98 1.3gx gearbox swap

Hi all

I have been offered a 98 1.3gx mot failure for £100. It needs a few bulbs, a shock and a really good clean, like stripping out and washing the interior as it is stinking(but no damage at all) Plus bending the bumper suppoprts back to shape. Beyond that it is in remarkably good condition, £40 and time to make a nice looking car. It does however have a noisey gearbox even in neutral.

My haynes manual suggests its possible to do the job with only axle stands, a trolley jack and hand tools. The clutch is only a few months old, so I am only looking at a gearbox swap. Is this a viable job to do at home in a garage on my back or should be done up on ramps in a professional garage?

Am I also correct in my thinking that I need a post 98, pre 2003 1.3 gearbox and that there are no changes with starters etc?

I currently have a 1.0L so the extra power and anti-roll bars should make for a far nicer drive, or am I getting into a lot of work for little return.

All suggestions and advice most welcome,

Thank you

Nigel

all the 1.3 g/boxes are the same nigel, and a post 98 1.0 will fit ok if you want to lower the gearing ;)

Thank you frank, I now know what box I am after, now I have to fit it! I have never changed one before so am a little wairy espcially getting the new box back on. Any tips would be most welcome as to how high to mount the body on stands and then to balance the box on a jack!

Nigel

you only need the axlestands high enough to be able to remove the rear mount nigel (thats what i take off after the battery tray) then n/s hub 2 bolts and shaft off, then bellhousing bolts :grinning:

Back