5 speed box? 1.0l? help!

bombz4

Ex. Club Member
ive got a 1 litre super wessex an my father is pushing me to change the box to stop punishing the engine, im slightly concerned the engine is gunna be under more strain? was ther ever a 1 litre 5 speed? is ther much difference speed wise? cheers guys

as far as i know...or at least always assumed, all 1 litres had a 4speed and the 1.2's had a 5....but after checking i cant find anything to back that up, so im probably wrong :)

The ratios are the same, except with the 5 speed youve got a 5th extra ratio. So cant see any issue with straining the engine.

most early 1.0 had 5 speeds until nissan brought out the 4 speed version when the car was facelifted, the 1.0 is much better with the 5 speed its a nicer drive and most peeps say it gives the car more pull, it will not in anyway put the engine understress as all ma series engines are designed for these 4 and 5speed box's

:0

the option wasnt introduced until the car had been in production for quite some years says in the front bit of the hanyes manual ;) and it was an option i believe for economy iirc all LS and L models had the 4 speed usualy the gs and gsx models had 5

Ive had a C reg DX (orig) and a G reg LS (facelift).....both were 4 speed and 1 litre.

Im not sure a 5 speed would give more pull, as the first 4 gear ratios are the same in both the 4 and 5 gearbox's (according to haynes).

But cant really say myself as ive never driven a 5 speed k10, the fifth gear will drop the revs down which is very handy when doing 70mph on the motorway.

there are 2 different versions of the 5 speed (the other ones ratios are in the suppliment of the haynes)

having tried the 4 and 5 i deffinatly felt the 5 speed was a nicer drive :D espically on the motor way :D

Speedle said:
there are 2 different versions of the 5 speed (the other ones ratios are in the suppliment of the haynes)

having tried the 4 and 5 i deffinatly felt the 5 speed was a nicer drive :D espically on the motor way :D

ah, i didnt check the suppliment.. :D if theres diff ratios then thats a different matter.

Back