Did they do a 5 Speed box ?

Hi did Nissan do a 5 speed gear box with the 998 MA10 Engine ?
Which models ?
Is it a straight replacement for the 4 speed ?
I.E same shafts,wheels, mounts ?

Many thanks as always Paul (Y)

yes they did, they did a 1 litre 5 speed wihch was basically the 4 speed but with 4th gear cut in 2 and labeled 4th and 5th, so a bit of a gimik really, but all 1.2s were fitted with the long ratio 5 speed which is basically a 4 speed with an aditional gear on the end, better for cruising.

there were other 5 speeds like the one fitted to the st with LSD but forget getting one of those.

there is another option tho the k11 pre 1998 1 liter box, essentially the same as the 1.2 k10 box but easier to get hold off, however there is some modification to the selector needed to fit it.

yes they did, they did a 1 litre 5 speed wihch was basically the 4 speed but with 4th gear cut in 2 and labeled 4th and 5th, so a bit of a gimik really, but all 1.2s were fitted with the long ratio 5 speed which is basically a 4 speed with an aditional gear on the end, better for cruising.

there were other 5 speeds like the one fitted to the st with LSD but forget getting one of those.

there is another option tho the k11 pre 1998 1 liter box, essentially the same as the 1.2 k10 box but easier to get hold off, however there is some modification to the selector needed to fit it.

Cheers so far guys....not sure what you mean about the 4th gear cut in half.....did it acually work ? Looking to quiten the engine down on the Motorway....Micra's and Motoways dont like each other.

I did a crude diagram to illustrate the ratios a few years ago, I can't find it but i'll redraw it :)

(There's no real scale here, just an illustration on the final drive ratios!)

Attachments

• crude.png
    crude.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 376
James thats great so it looks like Nissan gave you an extra gear change but not an extra gear so the new 5th is still the old 4th.....Is that correct ?

James thats great so it looks like Nissan gave you an extra gear change but not an extra gear so the new 5th is still the old 4th.....Is that correct ?
Spot on! Unless you get a 1.2 5 speed (which I would recommend, I had one fitted to my 1.0 K10) (Y)

You said you have to do some modification to the seletor how do you mean? as in what type of modifaction? i am wanting to put a k11 gearbox into my k10 1 litre just need some advice in how to fit it?

Thanks

You said you have to do some modification to the seletor how do you mean? as in what type of modifaction? i am wanting to put a k11 gearbox into my k10 1 litre just need some advice in how to fit it?

Thanks

you have to turn the joint on the end of the rod 90 deg rob, and you need the k11 rear mount too

if you find one put the 4 speed up for sale on here, i love 4 speeds:p

What's so good about 4-speed gearboxes? I've got one. Surely the 1.2 5-speed is all round better?

Just to clarify (so I can put it on my to do list), the 1.2 5-speed gearbox is a straight swap onto a 1.0 4-speed? Also I was wondering what kind of modifications would need to be done on the gearstick end of things?

Ok so yeah a quick scout around and it seems pretty hard to find a K10 box. Which models/engine sizes of K11 will fit (pre 98) and are there any tell tale signs that it is the right kind of box?

Oh and forgot to ask... I'm assuming a change would need to be registered with the DVLA etc. What about insurance. Has anybody had any problems getting it insured with a K11 or K10 5 speed box retro fitted or does it bump up the premiums much?

Ok so yeah a quick scout around and it seems pretty hard to find a K10 box. Which models/engine sizes of K11 will fit (pre 98) and are there any tell tale signs that it is the right kind of box?

if its got a little steel round cover on the nearside end (with a ring of bolts holding it on) and a levelplug and drainplug, then thats the bigger/wrong g/box

Fair enough, I suppose its only a gearbox and i doubt it will add much onto your premium or anything at all, just an admin charge maybe.

Argh admin charge makes me want to just not declare it. I guess in theory a K10 box would basically be undetectable and a K11 would be hard to spot as well. Still I'd be paranoid.

!CB!W)j!!mk~$(KGrHqIOKjIEzJrWft2sBNF1r9fCPQ~~0_12.JPG

This is advertised as a K11 1.3 SR box. Given the description frank gave, is this the right or wrong type?

*IMO* it's one of those mods where it cant be noticed... But its really up to you wether or not you declare it

Back