24 Volts

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Hello all

I am looking to install a 24V electrical item in my car, however im not quite sure how possible this is. Im aware the normal battery is a 12V, so, how can this be done?

Can i :

A) Replace the current 12V with a 24V one

B) Buy another 12V battery and somehow join them together to make 24V

C) Buy a seperate 24V battery to run this electrical item on it's own

D) Buy something to increase the voltate of the existing battery from 12V to 24V

As you can see, i dont really know much about this or my options, so any advice would be appreciated!

Ta

Hello all

I am looking to install a 24V electrical item in my car, however im not quite sure how possible this is. Im aware the normal battery is a 12V, so, how can this be done?

Can i :

A) Replace the current 12V with a 24V one

B) Buy another 12V battery and somehow join them together to make 24V

C) Buy a seperate 24V battery to run this electrical item on it's own

D) Buy something to increase the voltate of the existing battery from 12V to 24V

As you can see, i dont really know much about this or my options, so any advice would be appreciated!

Ta

depends on what actual device you want to run but you require a "in car converter/inverter" mate.

u want to run something with a standard "3 pin plug"??

i have one of these in my car to charge my phone, sat nav and laptop :)

any more help??
napster

No i have an inverter already, its not for home devices.

Im looking to install train horns, but see they use a 24V supply

ohh sorry Arnold! i did mis-understand

ok well im confused as to what a "train horn" actually is?

ok call me silly etc but i did a search and of course came up with actual Railway Train Horns????

is that correct or something else lol

sorry

Correct, very loud, the 12V ones the compressors aren't as good apparently so wanted something with a bit more kick to it! I've already got normal 12V air horns and they're not that loud.

I missed one on ebay a few months back which went for a few hundred or so

Correct, very loud, the 12V ones the compressors are crap so wanted something with a bit more kick to it ;)

haahaa...mate thats awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

so can i clarify how the horns would connect to the power source?

technically you can make your own connections to make it fit to a power source but are we talking "cables with connetors on" or would it use a "plug type connector"???

i think im getting alittle confused but the more i know about the "horn internals"....i may be able to help, but as im new to this concept lol i need abit more info to work on if thats ok? (Y)

haahaa...mate thats awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

so can i clarify how the horns would connect to the power source?

technically you can make your own connections to make it fit to a power source but are we talking "cables with connetors on" or would it use a "plug type connector"???

i think im getting alittle confused but the more i know about the "horn internals"....i may be able to help, but as im new to this concept lol i need abit more info to work on if thats ok? (Y)

I havent a clue how it would connect, because im still not sure of the best method to get 24V.

Option D:

My guess is that they would run on 12v but not as good! So I suggest BIG 3 if you have not already and this:

http://www.analyticsystems.com/step-up.htm

If someone can clarify whether DC is ok for horns? Its not like an appliance which is being used for long periods so it shouldnt be too demanding on the battery right? Which will charge anyway when the engine is on. If you had a lot of 24v gear then I would suggest a bigger alternator and moving to a 24v system but that would be way too much hassle so I think the step up would do the job...

Thats my two paisa's worth

Gurpreet said:
If someone can clarify whether DC is ok for horns?

Car uses DC Systems anyway mate, alternator diode pack changes it from AC to DC.

Its not really possible to change from 12v to 24v by changing the battery becuase you would need to change wiring, bulbs, ecu, everything almost!
Im not too sure on the best way of going from 12-24v..

Daz

how would he charge it tho? You would need to get another alternator to charge it unless you took it out every so often and charged it.

can't he just get another more powerful alternator and wire them both to it!!

Or, he could fit a dynamo to his back wheel :D LOL

the alternator couldnt charge both, as one will be a 12v alternator and one will be a 24v alternator, if you charge the 12v battery wi a 24v alternator it will blow it up lol

I dnt think a dynamo could create 24v :p

only way you will do it is by using a 24v battery wired ONLY to the train horns and nothing else, then when the battery goes flat your gunna have to take it out to charge it

and i think a 24v battery as a main battery willl cause the wiring loom to catch fire

I dnt think a dynamo could create 24v :p

It could with Arnolds driving :p

I think he'll be best with a seperate battery. With the idea of charging it when it's flat though, i don't think that would work coz it'll be flat in seconds lol!!! If it did work though i don't see why a 12v wouldn't work!

I think the 24v battery is for the compressor that is needed. We obv need more info!! Will see if i can find any :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-24v-truck...ryZ43120QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He should just get this one lol, then thats half the problems out the way!!!

Did nobody read my post? Try a DC to DC Boost/Buck Boost convertor.

Of course a 24v battery wired into the normal loom would cause problems!!!!

Just get a 12V compressor, so much less work, and so much less money involved.

arnold, dont know for sure but what comes to mind in this situation even tho it sounds stupid... i'd sugeest a 24V booster pack with a 12V in-car cahrging lead...

charges via house adaptor or incar 12V and boosts 24V car battery...

will have to confirm with a car sparky if its viable but sound right to me...

Rep thats what I tried to say by option D... all he need is a DC step up (boost). What about the one I posted? Surely the first one of the three in the line up would do it?

Two smaller 12v batteries, when not in use relays wire them in parralel to charge on the existing 12v supply, then when the horn is needed the relays switch to wiring them in series. They will now have 24v to run the horn...

Just get a 12V compressor, so much less work, and so much less money involved.

But are they as good? I've already got a 12V compressor for my air horns and they're not that impressive, probably down to the compressor.

Ed, sounds great - but im not an electrician and that went way over my head lol.

Two smaller 12v batteries, when not in use relays wire them in parralel to charge on the existing 12v supply, then when the horn is needed the relays switch to wiring them in series. They will now have 24v to run the horn...

Wouldn't he need to upgrade the alternator as it will be charging 3 batteries?

scraping the bottom of my mind. but i think if you looking in some truck magazines they make converters.
failing that all you need is a 2:1 ratio transformer. should be able to get from an elcertical shop. just take note of how much wattage and amps you're going to be using.
although ed's is a good idea. it's just hevier and a bit more complicated. ( no offences ed)
are you trying to beat my truck horns alan. lol.

Yes! lol, but after watching those youtube videos, the train horns look like great fun.

Might go one further than that and try get a horn from a lighthouse :p

Ed why not a step up or booster? Out of interest.
Thanks

Cheapest (and technically the simplest) way to do it.

failing that all you need is a 2:1 ratio transformer
Nope that wont work at all. You need to convert the DC to AC first before stepping it up. Since your talking LARGE currents to drive a compressor, you would need large transformer, large switching regulators etc = expensive.

My method would cost about £40 inc batteries for the parts and do the job just fine + beable to supply alot of current 50+amps with no sweat at all.

Back