2005 k12 No warning light

Hi All My Son bought his first car a very clean 2005 K12. He had his mechanic friend check it before hand and all seemed good. Its a lovely little car to drive and he is chuffed to bits. BUT. Intermittent failure of the power steering. I know that there has been quite a lot of discussion on this but just want to clarify one point. At no stage has the failure thrown up a light on the dash. Would the lack of a warning light be normal in this situation. The car had been sitting for 18 months without being driven before purchase as the owner had gone to Australia for a year but decided to stay long term. He knew the car before hand and the fault was not present then. Thanks in advance. Mike.

The power steering on the whole K12 micra range are electic, when you turn on the ignition before starting the engine the warning lights will light up and go off again when the engine is running, therefore you will know if all the warning lights work or not! my best advice would be an engine oil flush and check all the earth connectors for oxidation, when car are stood for a while small problems pop up untill the vehicle is back to regular use. I would also ask where the car was stored for the 18 months, either outside or garaged.:unsure:

The power steering on the whole K12 micra range are electic, when you turn on the ignition before starting the engine the warning lights will light up and go off again when the engine is running, therefore you will know if all the warning lights work or not! my best advice would be an engine oil flush and check all the earth connectors for oxidation, when car are stood for a while small problems pop up untill the vehicle is back to regular use. I would also ask where the car was stored for the 18 months, either outside or garaged.:unsure:
Thanks Mach1, sounds like good advice, was stored outside so oxidation could be a likely suspect. Thanks

So my warning light for the power steering does work as it briefly lights with the usual ones when I switch on the ignition. In the manual it shows a ground for the EPS control unit, see the attached copy diagram, my problem is that I have spent 20 mins in the rain trying to locate the connections in the engine bay without success. I am literally looking for 3 earth points similar to diagram. Is this correct. It would be great if someone could give me clearer directions on where to look.

Attachments

• micra capture.JPG
    micra capture.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 40
There is a bunch of earth connectors located underneath the right headlight (drivers side in UK), but means removing the right headlight unit first also check for corrosion underneath as it is notorious for corrosion due to a anti vibration pad holding water like a sponge(I usually bin this pad once any corrosion if any is sorted). Try this array of earth connectors first.:unsure:

Thanks, really appreciate this, I was on the wrong track so, I was leaning towards the drivers side of the bay because of what appeared to be an engine mount on the left hand side of the diagram. Guess I will be getting wet so as we are suffering continual continual rain, weather warning for the next 48 hours.:cry:

Hi all It appears that there is a specific ground point for the EPS, see diagram, I cannot locate it, could any kind person point me in the right direction. Thanks. micra capture.JPG

Study this website and put in your specific micra (engine, doors model and construction year) as it lays out the position of the wiring harness relative to the specific model you have, mine is diesel so wiring will differ from model to model.

Thanks Mach1, I unfortunately failed to locate the earth location as the diagrams were line drawings and I need something that a two year old can follow :cry: . I did find something that I thought was unusual, see picture, a corrosion build up on one section of the plug on the positive battery terminal. I cleaned this as best I could and liberally sprayed it with contact cleaner. However when I reattached the positive terminal the NATS light flashed continuously, the car started fine , I waited for 30 mins and tried again, started fine but NATS light continues to flash. At that stage rain interrupted matters so I pulled the battery and put it on overnight charge. Hopefully tomorrow things will work better.

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
Yes you are on the right track, by going through various connector and checking for poor and corroded connectors, I went through my wiring harnass/connectors and cleaned all mine last year, a tip is to use a mild acid like lemon juice etc to clean up delicate connectors if found to be green, this will clean them up without problems then WD 40 electric cleaner or similar when connecting back up. I can only say that going through a process of elimination that you will get to the bottom of your problems.

Last edited:
corrosion hunt has turned up this today, positive connection on battery, has been cleaned up and steering is currently OK. Not breaking open the champagne yet as the problem is intermittent .

Attachments

• 20231019_180013.jpg
    20231019_180013.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
The grounds for the EPS are under the dashboard, remove the to windscreen pillar trims then pry up the top of of the dash, its easier to see the unit from outside through the windscreen haha.

Thanks, Its not completely sorted. When I start the car if I wait 2 or 3 seconds before attempting to move the steering wheel I have no problem, on the odd occasion I hop in start and go immediately, that's the scenario when it seems to happen.

Back