K12 Electric steering gone very light. No PS Light?

Hi all, i was wondering if anyone could spread some light on my sons K12 59 plate Micra. He's informed me that over the last week his steering has gone really light. As in nearly 360 to go round the roundabouts.
I have been searching on the net and club but everything points to heavy steering and PS light on. Cant find anything ref light steering? Is this the start of the dreaded EPS failure? He doesnt want rid of the car has its in excelent condition and midnight purple.
My son lives in Catterick up North but i live in Tamworth. Was wondering if there is anyone around the Birmingham area to assist. Thanks all

Sorry i have just realised i posted in General and not tech. Any mods that could change it please. Thank you

Last edited:
Did you really say he has to turn the wheel 360 degrees to navigate a roundabout?

That sounds very dangerous, best do not drive the car, sounds like something is seriously wrong if I understood you right.

Last edited:
If the steering was just feeling lighter but had the same amount of turns left to right then that would maybe be the electric power steering over compensating, also never heard of that, if the steering wheel needs to be turned way beyond the normal amount of degrees to negotiate a roundabout then it sounds like a wacky races car...Mutley, do something!

OP
OP
J
If the steering was just feeling lighter but had the same amount of turns left to right then that would maybe be the electric power steering over compensating, also never heard of that, if the steering wheel needs to be turned way beyond the normal amount of degrees to negotiate a roundabout then it sounds like a wacky races car...Mutley, do something!
Agree there....he shown me via messenger today. When he was static he could spin the wheel with one finger!!

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Hey.
Is it the TRW system or the retro-fit EPS. Can you take a picture of up your dash and message it me, I maybe able to help.

Jason.

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Yes, send me a message with a picture of the rear of the eps, from that I’ll be able to tell you if I can help

I live in Birmingham

Have a look at my wall and previous post.

Jason

OP
OP
J
Yes, send me a message with a picture of the rear of the eps, from that I’ll be able to tell you if I can help

I live in Birmingham

Have a look at my wall and previous post.

Jason
How easy is it to take a picture as I have to explain this to my son. Do you have to get the car up in the air? Or is it at the bottom-left of the column inside.

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
No. Just take a picture from the drivers pedals uptowards the dash. You’ll see behind the system.

From this I’ll be able to tell what unit is fitted and if I can help.

Attachments

• 95D1D742-62C2-47A0-A110-D631CCB36A75.jpeg
    95D1D742-62C2-47A0-A110-D631CCB36A75.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited: