2002 Twister broken boot/petrol cap release cable

Hi,
My wife has a Micra Twister 52 reg. The boot/petrol cap release cable isn't opening the petrol cap, but still opens the boot. I can open it the petrol cap by hand by moving the release mechanism in the boot, but not very convenient for my wife. It looks like the black washer on the outer cable has broken off, as there's one sitting in the release mechanism. It looks a pain in the a**e to change the whole cable as it's routed along the the bodywork from the boot to the release lever near the drivers footwell.
Does anyone know a way of either repairing it or replacing the actual exterior flap with a method of opening it without the release cable? A local Nissan dealer wants £263 to supply and spend 1 1/2 hours fitting a new one!
I've taken various pictures of the broken section if they're needed.
If there's no way of fixing it easily or cheaply, I'll just have to be the one who refills it all the time!
Thanks in advance for any help.
Simon.

I want to set this up on my car with a boot and petrol cap release lever. I figured it would be a pain to pull the cabling out of a car in a scrap yard And fitting it,

so is what im going to do is harvest the lever and the mecanisms and route some cycle break cable through the the car, probably along the sills (There is some convinient trunking there for cables and stuff) the things i would do to make it look better :)

The set up i have on my car is a fuel cap which is opened with a key, a much simpler fix. You will just need the feul cover from another car. Just find someone on ebay or here with a breaking micra with a key petrol cover. Lots of poverty spect cars have them. preface or facelift will Fit fine.

Back