1.6 engine with 1.3 box

micras69

Deactivated Account
im busy finding out more info on this so please bare with me (Y)

to start with could anyone give me a bhp figure of my 1.6 engine taken from an almera gx 1996

am i right beliveing that the 1.3 micra box will marry up to the 1.6 almera engine?
if this is true what clutch would i be looking to use? and what bhp will it beable to take?

cheers for any info

Im using the 1.3 box on the ga16. Depending on how you mount the engine you can still keep the shafts, but mine are custom. You will also need custom mounts for it and will need to change the flywheel, which mine has been machined down to for a better fit. Clutch would be a helix from mat humpris which I'm going to be getting soon as mine sometimes slips when quick shifting.

ga16 is 98- 102bhp which yes you can get from a 1.3 but with less torque. Also bare in mind you can do mods to the ga16 which would bring it in the region of up to 120bhp.

Im using the 1.3 box on the ga16. Depending on how you mount the engine you can still keep the shafts, but mine are custom. You will also need custom mounts for it and will need to change the flywheel, which mine has been machined down to for a better fit. Clutch would be a helix from mat humpris which I'm going to be getting soon as mine sometimes slips when quick shifting.

ga16 is 98- 102bhp which yes you can get from a 1.3 but with less torque. Also bare in mind you can do mods to the ga16 which would bring it in the region of up to 120bhp.

what way would i need to re-fit the engine so that i could use the 1.3 drive shafts or do they need mix matching of the two? also what flywheel did you use?

as for the clutch why not use the 1.6 and as an extra use the helix clutch plate from rallynuts?

you would need to leave the gearbox in the exact same place as it stands on the 1.3 and fit the ga16 to that, which involves cutting the chasis. I have avoided doing this and you will not need to mix and match shafts: only shorten and lengthen the other one. I'm using the 1.3 flywheel which you need if your putting that gearbox on as starter motors are different also: You cannot use the 1.6 clutch with the 1.3 box. It all depends on what you want i.e. closer ratio in 1st and 2nd gears or slighlty longer ratios +top end speed with the 1.6 box.

well if i was to do it i would keep the gearbox/shafts in place, blank off the water pump pulley and use an electric one, use the cg13 flywheel and helix clutch as im sure the bolt pattern on the cranks are the same. this saves cutting the chassis and the only custom thing i can think of is the LH engine mount which wouldnt be that hard to get done from a fabricators. most of the loom from the cg will plug in as with the ga16 ecu. or if you want to be sneaky use the cg throttle body where all the connections will plug on as its a straight fit

hey stani ;) yep thats another way you can do it and as for the loom providing your k11 or ga16 ecu doesnt have nats you should be fine. Just a matter of extending a few plugs/stems etc. It was abit more difficult for me as my loom for the k11 was a coilpack. As for the shafts only one of mine is custom made. The other I bought from matt which he uses on the wide arch micras(fits perfect).

Stani you may need the front mount to be fabricated also ;)

howdy mate ;) and i have a non nats ga16 ecu running on my super-s atm along with the injectors and throttle body so it proves chopping and changing little thing like this when doing the ga16 converion may work and thinking about it now, the front mount on the ga16 has a bigger diameter on from bolt to bolt??

yea should be no reason why it wont work obviously if theres any problems you can give me a shout I may be able to help. I'm no expert but I have done the conversion successfully and planning other stuff for it very soon :)....

you would need to leave the gearbox in the exact same place as it stands on the 1.3 and fit the ga16 to that, which involves cutting the chasis. I have avoided doing this and you will not need to mix and match shafts: only shorten and lengthen the other one. I'm using the 1.3 flywheel which you need if your putting that gearbox on as starter motors are different also: You cannot use the 1.6 clutch with the 1.3 box. It all depends on what you want i.e. closer ratio in 1st and 2nd gears or slighlty longer ratios +top end speed with the 1.6 box.

if the chasis requires to be cut how did you avoid this? could i do what stani said and use both 1.3 shafts, if not what drive shaft did you shorten/lenghten passanger or drivers side?

as for the clutch you can use the 1.6 sunny clutch in the 1.3 box mate

you can avoid cutting the chassis by mounting the 1.6 engine with the cg gearbox on it from the LHS to the right if you know what i mean then as said above shorten and lengthen the shafts but that makes the passenger side shaft even shorter than it already is so i would try find an LSD somewhere if you go that option

the engine sits further over to the right, and its the short shaft only that needs to be custom(shortened) the longer one is from the wide arch rally micras. Im pretty sure stanis way can work though I have never tried, or seen this method so you will need have a go and see. so you have a 1.6 turbo k11? or your planning on building one?

everything im saying hasnt been tried by me or anyone i know, its just what i would try as im sure its as easy as it seems :D if i ever get round to doing it i shall spill all beans

right im with you guys i think i may just stick with the 1.6 box as thats how ive got it all planed out and just get the shafts custome made.

ga16seeper: im building the 1.6t atm, thats the reason im asking about useing the 1.3 box, was hopeing that i would of been quicker and cheeper lol

micras69 when your saying building it do you mean its already in the micra, almera? I'm interested in what you have done so far on it and your plans. send me your email/pics of the progress so far etc. ;)

1.3 box is by far the better option..

Shafts and everything are unchanged.. shorter ratios than the 1.6 box..

Just some cutting and welding.. which is easy peasy..

Back