1.6 convertion

joelh

Ex. Club Member
whats invovled in putting in a 1.6 engine what has to be changed and things and is it easy or lots of work?

1. take both engines out (1.3/1.0 and 1.6)

2. take all mounts off both engine including cross members

3. get engine mount (right hand side) and bolt it to the original bracket (the holes going though the mount will need opening up to match up)

4. take the crossmember from the 1.6. The rear bolts match up with a bit of force and the front needs re-bolting as well as being cut 8 inches shorter

5. take the water pump pulley off (4 bolts)

6. once you have done that, its time to get the engine in

7. put bolts though engine and crossmember mounts

8. now that the engine is in place, mark up were the water pump pully fouls on the chassis, the gear box mount can be marked up at the same time

8.5 the gearbox mount i used the micra (re-drilled) but you could use a custom one

9. now the hard bit "cutting the chassis" for this i grinded two slices in the chassis leg (downwards) then bent the metal in with a hammer and chisel then got
two 6mm steel plates and fitted them between the gaps (so the plates go right in to the chassis) then welded them in

10. now that you have the clearance for the pulley it can be re fixed and belts put back (as i used a engine that had power steering a new tensioner had to be made)

11. the engine can now go in again and all mounts can be bolted up

12. as for the rad i used a civic type-r witch fitted nicely between the two fount cross members but you can use whatever you want

13. the gear linkages need to be shortened

14. drive shafts need to be shortened but im in the prosses of doing these but will go in to more detail when done

15. the dizzy wires will need extending if your using the micra loom as well as the alltanator needs new terminals, other than that it all plugs straight in

16. you need to fit the 1.6 ecu as well

Courtesy of "Wide_arched_boy", you want to search for conversion, convertion isnt a word.

1. take both engines out (1.3/1.0 and 1.6)

2. take all mounts off both engine including cross members

3. get engine mount (right hand side) and bolt it to the original bracket (the holes going though the mount will need opening up to match up)

4. take the crossmember from the 1.6. The rear bolts match up with a bit of force and the front needs re-bolting as well as being cut 8 inches shorter

5. take the water pump pulley off (4 bolts)

6. once you have done that, its time to get the engine in

7. put bolts though engine and crossmember mounts

8. now that the engine is in place, mark up were the water pump pully fouls on the chassis, the gear box mount can be marked up at the same time

8.5 the gearbox mount i used the micra (re-drilled) but you could use a custom one

9. now the hard bit "cutting the chassis" for this i grinded two slices in the chassis leg (downwards) then bent the metal in with a hammer and chisel then got
two 6mm steel plates and fitted them between the gaps (so the plates go right in to the chassis) then welded them in

10. now that you have the clearance for the pulley it can be re fixed and belts put back (as i used a engine that had power steering a new tensioner had to be made)

11. the engine can now go in again and all mounts can be bolted up

12. as for the rad i used a civic type-r witch fitted nicely between the two fount cross members but you can use whatever you want

13. the gear linkages need to be shortened

14. drive shafts need to be shortened but im in the prosses of doing these but will go in to more detail when done

15. the dizzy wires will need extending if your using the micra loom as well as the alltanator needs new terminals, other than that it all plugs straight in

16. you need to fit the 1.6 ecu as well

Courtesy of "Wide_arched_boy", you want to search for conversion, convertion isnt a word.

17. Scratch head because it won't start.

18. Wipe oil out of deep cuts on hands to avoid infection.

19. Throw spanner through windscreen when it all goes pears!!

That all sounds a bit too easy???

What gearbox? Origin Micra or the one attached to 1.6 engine. Which leads onto Driveshafts?? Which ones, any problems?
Is widening out the gearbox mount holes necessary for alignment or because the bolts are bigger. Do all gear linkages need to be shortened or just the main input link ?
You say the crossmember has to be shortened, isn't that a supporting crossmember? Is it strong enough when you weld it back together? The little front engine mount, is that the micra one or the donor engine one?

Does the 1.6 ECU connect to the micra ECU connector, and is the distributor and alternator wiring the only wiring adjustments required?

What's the best 1.6 engine code to use..older primera?

Like 01joelh I'm contemplating the transplant/conversion/upgrade...but without sifting through hours of search's where any of the words above result in loads of dead end threads and missing info.

The above description on the conversion is by far the most comprehensive version I have seen but it's still missin info..
Can anyone with enough time on their hands put together a comprehensive 'how to guide' with pics?? Please!

If I get around to a conversion I'll do a full diary, pics and all.

Back