1.5 dci turbo stud snapped

Tried removing the turbo from my 2006 k12 1.5dci micra and when removing the manifold to turbo studs managed to snap the nut off the stud on 2/3 bolts. Is there any way to remove the studs from the manifold without removing the manifold or the engine. Theres zero clearance to drill/tap them out and a welding torch wont get down in the area. To remove the manifold the engine would have to come out as again there is no clearance to remove certain bolts.

Photos for clearance ideas

Attachments

• IMG_4980.jpeg
    IMG_4980.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • D54E2F98-3B70-487E-B040-46091BE3BCD4.jpeg
    D54E2F98-3B70-487E-B040-46091BE3BCD4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
Heat and grips might work if you have plenty to get hold of.
"safety first tho" of course.

How much space do you actually have.
I'm not familiar with the dci engine in this bay and where that turbo situated.

Okay after looking and an image of a k12 engine bay for 1.5 dci.
Probably best to figure out what can give you a better space with not too much dismantling.

Battery and possible the ecu is what's nearest in the image I have just looked at of full engine bay..

Oh yeah and also you can try double nut on them studs if you have plenty of thread just put two on and tight them together might give another chance if that option is available.

Heat and grips might work if you have plenty to get hold of.
"safety first tho" of course.

How much space do you actually have.
I'm not familiar with the dci engine in this bay and where that turbo situated.

Okay after looking and an image of a k12 engine bay for 1.5 dci.
Probably best to figure out what can give you a better space with not too much dismantling.

Battery and possible the ecu is what's nearest in the image I have just looked at of full engine bay..

Oh yeah and also you can try double nut on them studs if you have plenty of thread just put two on and tight them together might give another chance if that option is available.
The turbo is situated behind the engine, the exhaust manifold attachment is below the egr valve and a variety of other piping. I could alternatively go in from underneath but that would mean removing the catalytic converter which is situated directly below it. Just to make things difficult! I may have to just hire an engine hoist and take the engine out. It needs an engine mount thats below the engine anyway. But was hoping for an easier solution!

They really shoved the dci engine in there didnt they 😂

Having seen your pictures I am glad I avoided turbos in my old micras?

I only ever dug an engine out of car once, when I was 19, & never went back into that hell hole again in 48 years of driving. :cool:

Looks like Micra Dci was inspired by YARN | Son of a bitch is dug in like an Alabama tick. | Predator (1987) | Video clips by quotes | 6c4135de | 紗 (getyarn.io)

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back