1.3 at 1.6 performance?

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
Disgradaring costs, if you bored a 1.3 engines, inlets, outlets and piston shafts to the size of 1.6 ones and changed the gearbox, cams, pistons, TB, ECU for 1.6 ones, would you get the performance of a 1.6?

I dont think you could bore a 1.3 out to a 1.6, not without resleeving anyway, but as the 1.3 is lighter than the 1.6 to start with then I think it would be a better performing engine.

would it not cut into the water jacket taking it out that far ?

These are the things would like to know, was a convosation I had on whether you can make a 1.3 into 1.6 performance without actual performance mods like manifolds etc

No it wouldn't! It wouldnt work. To expect to get 8mm - nearly 1 cm of extra bore diameter is crazy. The CGA3DE which is 82.8mm is pretty thin as it is. There is no way a CG13DE would be bored to 88mm. Also you would not get the 1.6 crank in without major work if it was possible at all, as it is on the CG13, CGA3 engines even slightly uprated conrods require machining of the bottom of the piston barrels to get them to fit, increasing the diameter of this by another 4mm would not be a good choice. The CG13 allready sufferes with quite a poor conrod length, and this was definately an issue with designing uprated pistons for the CGA3, that the stroke to rod ratio becomes very sharp, which puts more sideways loads on the piston skirts than you really want.

Ultimately, if it actually was possible to bore an engine to such an extent it would be paper thin and break pretty quickly.

Back