1.0l Oil Change

A

aaruck

Morning all,
Im planning to do an oil chnage on my girlfriends 2001 1.0l. Can anyone tell me if this is a nice simple job ie is the oil filter easily accessible etc?
Any pics?
Cheers

Editted to say: Using forums for other car makes regularly I thought I would get a response to this pretty quickly. Turns out Nissan owners are obviously not as helpful.
Cheers. I guess i'll figure it out myself.

Turns out Nissan owners are obviously not as helpful.

Im quite amazed you wrote that considering the information you've received in your introduction thread. Also, please be patient. People are at work during the day so wont be able to reply to threads until they're home etc!

An oil change is very easy. Information can be found in the haynes manual, it may even be in the nissan owners manual.

Turn the car on and let the engine warm up
Switch engine off
There will be a bolt in the oil sump underneath the car. Remove it and drain the oil.
Remove and change the oil filter from the back of the engine.
Use existing oil to lubricate new one and screw it back on
Replace plug in bottom of engine
Fill up with oil
Drive it a bit. Check level again and top up if necessary

3.0l with filter change
2.8l without filter change

I would also replace the washer on the sump plug.
Park on a flat level.
Get out your number 10 socket IIRC

Oil is childs play... jack it up... position a contained under the sump plug... loosen sump plug with a socket wrench or spanner... then for the last coupe of turns use your hand instead of the tool... move your hand away sharply otherwise oil will go everywhere.. dont drop the plug into the container haha - easily done.. so if you use a container best to have it positioned.. and you will need to reposition it as oil slows to a trickle.. unscrew the engine oil cap and let it flowwww... make a cup of tea or replace your spark plugs while the oil is dripping.. or have your tea and come back.. when the oil has slowed to a drip you can remove the filter...

The filter is abit harder... its mid way up at the back of the engine.. so make sure it is safely jacked up and on axle stands.. use a filter removal tool to slacken it.. when you put the new one on.. put some oil on the inner side on the sealing ring and edge... and screw back on firmly... if you dont have a filter removal tool the stab it with a screw driver and unscrew...

put the sump plug back in... fill her up from the top... engine oil cap... screw cap back on.. start engine... run for a bit.. check oil level and adjust as neccessary..

What oil?
10w40 semi synthetic castrol magnatec if you want but I would go for Nissan Oil from the main dealer.. magnatec claims to stick to the parts inside when the engine is off so moving metal parts can be perserved for longer but if you do not change it, it can lead to acid build up. I recommend changing oil every year at least... if you can then every 6 months... Nissan Oil seems fine to me.. I got 2 containers on a deal.. the 2nd one was half price so my guess is frequent and cheap oil changes are just as good as gtx.

Sorry Im having trouble uploading pics but the Haynes Manual is your best friend! I was a beginner and it is easy to do!!!

Let us know how it goes..

U shouldn't need to jack the car up till the oil is drained, otherwise it won't all drain out in the first place will it?!!

I thought u jack it up after, in aid to changing the filter!! I may b wrong tho!! :)

ya not wrong!!! My bad!! I jacked it slightly as I was finding it hard to get under the car.. you could always lower it after the plug is removed to let it drain... as you point out!

Yeah arnold said a warm engine helps!! When we did the oil change on arnolds car we couldn't get the container under the car because it was lowered!! My dad had a big enough metal tray that could hold all the oil so we used that!! And it was also hard to reach the oil filter from the top because of his strut brace!!! I've yet to find out how easy it is on a k11!! :D

it's quite awkward to get to the filter.

Just hammer a screwdriver all the way through it, and use it as a lever.

There's no way of getting to it from the top so you'll have to jack it up.

Just hammer a screwdriver all the way through it, and use it as a lever.

or just use an oil filter wrench,
just to add that jacking the car up from the front will allow more oil to drain out as the 14mm plug is located at the rear of the sump, and not at the lowest point. just remember to lower it back down before checking oil level. lol

Cheers. Did it Sunday. Took about 1.5 hours though as struggled to get onto the old filter. Anyone know where the best place to buy a standard air filter is? (before anyone chips in with "get a k&n", etc.; dont bother I just need a cheap standard air filter).
Cheers

no no no, go into a small motor factors, theyll provide you with the best help and price to ensure you return. Look after the little guys.

Tis all basic stuff available from basic places. Given your car is out of warrentee it's a waste to buy from Nissan when the same parts with a different badge are available from motor factors such as Andrew Page or PartCo. A hint, if Halfrauds don't have your part in they buy from Pages or PartCo and put a mark up on it for you!.

If you're keeping it standard then the Nissan Main Dealer is the best place IMHO.. or try a local motor factor selling genuine Nissan parts.. and though you said that about K&N... it would be good as you could get more miles out of it.. slightly better performance... and its easy to maintain.. you just clean it and stick it back in the air box.. so it does work out cheaper in the long run!

Thing is Gurpreet, how many people do you know who regularly clean and re-oil their K&N's which your meant to do regularly.

Back