'02 1L no pull at 2k rpm.

The engine has no mods, 80k miles or so, tyres are ok, the brakes feel good. On a flat road, no wind, engine warm, 2000 rpm, floor it, very little happens. I have to drop a gear or two to begin making progress. But then I'm not used to 16 valve engines. Does that seem normal enough? It may feel a bit more lively when the engine is colder, and running richer, but then I'm taking it easy till it gets warm. Is that about par for the course? Ta for any ideas.

The engine has no mods, 80k miles or so, tyres are ok, the brakes feel good. On a flat road, no wind, engine warm, 2000 rpm, floor it, very little happens. I have to drop a gear or two to begin making progress. But then I'm not used to 16 valve engines. Does that seem normal enough? It may feel a bit more lively when the engine is colder, and running richer, but then I'm taking it easy till it gets warm. Is that about par for the course? Ta for any ideas.

Stirring the gearbox like porridge is typical on a one litre K11?
A thorough service, a few tankfuls of premium fuels & cans of injector cleaner in sequence with an “Italian Tune” up to blow the short journeys syndrome sludge out of it at minimal cost maybe worthwhile?

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/keywords/?word=premium+fuels

https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...q=Debate+Advantages;+V+Power/Ultimate++Petrol

Thanks, the "Italian tune up" is always fun. Super fuel can be expensive, but maybe worth it. Thanks for the reminder about cleaner, I have some Dipetane fuel additive lying around, I'll give it a dose.

Last edited:
Thanks, the "Italian tune up" is always fun. Super fuel can be expensive, but maybe worth it. Thanks for the reminder about cleaner, I have some Dipetane fuel additive lying around, I'll give it a dose.

Premium fuel vs supermarket cheap stuff?

I exclusively used supermarket fuel in a previous K11 & after approx. two years of mostly short journeys it developed a low speed shuddering partial misfire due to a weak mixture.

No amount of fault finding/parts changing helped and the injectors were the only items not changed. By then I was glad to see the back of it!

Exclusively using cheap fuel most likely cost me more in parts/labour/heartache in excess of the few pence per litre saving? I wish I had read the following info years ago. Good luck.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/...o-keep-my-10-year-old-toyota-avensis-running-

I would stay clear of supermarket fuel, but there's no need to go buying super high octane stuff either. General run of the mill fuel, as long as it doesn't arrive in an unmarked tanker from the north you're probably fine. You'd be too far south for that problem anyway I'd say.

And a little diptane boost every once in a while doesn't go astray
8ef25a23d663721be2e1b8cd58540a70.jpg

Only yesterday I was talking to a lad whose Berlingo van was killed by dodgy diesel, according to his mechanic. It had been living up Dublin direction before he bought it, he recommends buying fuel only from the the main companies, who could not afford to be caught selling the knock-off stuff. I'm not sure what could be so bad about supermarket fuel, except not having the maximum amount of additives such as detergents.

Only yesterday I was talking to a lad whose Berlingo van was killed by dodgy diesel, according to his mechanic. It had been living up Dublin direction before he bought it, he recommends buying fuel only from the the main companies, who could not afford to be caught selling the knock-off stuff. I'm not sure what could be so bad about supermarket fuel, except not having the maximum amount of additives such as detergents.
That's exactly it, missing important stuff. You can tell by how much it always foams up (there's meant to be a anti foam agent, but it costs money). My diesel 309 was nearly murdered by apple green diesel, due to high quantity of biofuel sourced crap in it I was told. A neighbours whole fuel system had to be replaced on his navara because of awful fuel, doesn't pay to be cheap. I'd still say yours is throttle body/maf related though, I'd send you mine off parts car but it's dizzy

Thanks Liam, that's a kind thought. To be honest, mine flies along pretty well, it just seems a bit flat at 2k revs, and maybe the top speed is not all it might be. I will get around to unplugging the Maf soon as I get a chance. Now, where did I hide the Dipetane?

Thanks Liam, that's a kind thought. To be honest, mine flies along pretty well, it just seems a bit flat at 2k revs, and maybe the top speed is not all it might be. I will get around to unplugging the Maf soon as I get a chance. Now, where did I hide the Dipetane?
To be fair micras are a bit flat everywhere, need to find a 1.3 I think. Can't hurt unplugging the maf, will use a bit more fuel while it's unplugged though if it is working fine

Back