Wing mirror change

Just wondering if a wing mirror housing can be swapped out. Meaning put electric ones into the housing of a manually adjusted wing mirror.
I'm asking because I want to remove old looking trim. Then replace with something that will not fade over time.
If not I'm happy just to paint them as this may be possible.

Last edited:
Bump. I am also looking forward for this replacement. Removing the manual mirror is easy, but how and where can I connect the electric mirror's loom in the door? How can I remove the door trim, if I need to at all?

You can easily remove the door trim with a trim removal tool.
The connectors in not sure if are the same or even if this item will be a good fit.
Some times we have to just go for it and try if no one else has.
Best bet is to just buy one and see if it will fit.
I'm waiting on trim tool to remove the rear door trim as its held I'm eight points and so far I felt as tho I was breaking it so stopped and ordered a proper tool.
Should be here shortly.
Also there is a small trim that covers the mirror area but as far as I remember that area probably only has the bolts to hold the unit in place.

Mine are already electronic and I was hoping to try the face lift version they are larger and look different.
The plastic trim on mine keep reverting to a grey colour after black to backing them.
My only other option is to ink the plastic this I seen works really well for those that have not seen this its just a black ink that is absorbed by the plastic and give it a wet look that lasts for a lot longer period.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Tapatalk

... How can I remove the door trim, if I need to at all?
Open the door and start by removing this silver trim piece. It has clips all around it so it doesn't matter where you try and pop it off. If you don't remove it now, it will fly off across the garden when you take the door skin off.
14828393.jpg

To remove thebutton panel, place something like a spoon under the end marked by the arrow and lever it up. A large clip will come out and the whole unit can be removed once you've unclipped the electrical connection.
14828394.jpg

You now need to remove the large philips head screw you can see as this fixes the door skin to the door frame.
14828395.jpg

Remove the sheet of plastic whilst trying to avoid the gungey glue stuff - it's EVIL (tip: white spirit dissolves it very quickly)! Behold, the K12 door in all it's naked glory.
14828396.jpg

Last edited:
Great guide Mika I will try and do rear door panel soon with photos as this I didn't notice in manual.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Tapatalk

Hello Sparky and Mika,

Thank you for your thorough guide, the hardest part was the plastic piece around the door opener :) . I did buy a set of electric wing mirrors and the control button set for the dash at the weekend, but I had to realize that our car is not prepped for the electric mirrors, no cable loom were waiting for us to be connected to in the doors. Only the control button set had its connector behind the dummy trim. There are no cables at all behind the fuse box for at the proper position.

I see I need the cable looms for the doors, the cables for the fuse box. What else do I need to get at the scrapyard? I am not familiar how the K12 is wired, but I can read wiring diagrams and do some manual work (cutting splicing soldering etc) if needed.

The adjustable left and right buttons on dash in last photo mika show also you would probably need the blanking plastic covers for the inside of the mirror also visible in last image that would cover the gap on the inner side of door.

My trim piece as show in the second image was broken from clip damage the last person drilled the end and used a push clip to hold it down I have not replaced yet as my window still experiencing sticking due to tight fitment of the rubber window runner seals.
i also noticed in your photo a wire at the mirror that looks similar to the one i had unused.
is this possibly the mirror heater/demister?
Or front tweeter for speakers?
Those are the only two items I can think it may have been.

Last edited:
Back